The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
— The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization with a mission to advance democracy worldwide, as a universal human aspiration and an enabler of sustainable development, through support to the building, strengthening and safeguarding of democratic political institutions and processes at all levels.
We believe that democracy is a universal human aspiration and an experience that is pursued and lived in different ways around the world. Beyond the basic tenets of citizens’ choice and citizens’ political equality, the critical choices are best made and the quality of democracy is best gauged by those directly concerned: the citizens themselves. We systematically nurture an open and pluralistic understanding of democracy. This is respectful of the national context, and is in line with our non-prescriptive and non-intrusive approach, as well as with the priorities set by national actors.
International IDEA produces, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes, constitution building processes, political participation and representation, as well as on democracy as it relates to gender and inclusion, conflict sensitivity and sustainable development.
It has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden, and offices in the Africa and West Asia, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and Europe regions. International IDEA is a Permanent Observer to the United Nations.
The Africa and West Asia (AWA) Region is one of four Regional Programmes at International IDEA. Its geographical scope encompasses 66 countries out of which it has a programmatic footprint in about 44 of them. Region-wide activities are coordinated from its base in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia but sub-regional and country offices are also maintained in Maputo (Mozambique), Tunis (Tunisia), and Khartoum (The Sudan). Plans are ongoing for the opening of other country and project offices in 2021 in accordance with growing programme demands. The work of the Region encompasses the three main thematic pillars around which International IDEA programmes its activities. These are constitution-building, electoral processes, and political participation and representation. Special attention is devoted to the role of women and the youth in light of the values of the Institute on gender equality and the youthful demographics of the countries that make up the Region. Also, a considerable part of ongoing programming is focused on the post-conflict, post-authoritarian transitions that abound in the Region. Overall, the AWA Region is a dynamic growth pole of the Institute that offers exciting opportunities to professionals interested in contributing to the promotion of democratic change and development.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will manage the coordination, development and implemention of the programme results management framework for the Africa and West Asia region. S/he will focus on improving the qualitative and quantitative reporting for the region and provide technical leadership and assistance to the region’s projects, particularly in the relation to monitoring, evaluation and reporting, facilitating coordination between the region, headquarters (HQ) and the donor.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates the activity and outcome reporting to HQ for the Africa and West Asia (AWA) region; Acts as the focal point and provides oversight, expert guidance and support to the region’s programme managers in their respective portfolio of projects;
- Leads AWA programme planning and the compilation of partner inputs; Ensures effective collaboration between the programme partners and AWA region programme managers and M&E officers on monitoring and evaluation;
- Checks data quality, maintains and administers the regional M&E framework, analyzes and aggregates data from projects to assess performance and promote learning;
- Produces reports and presentations on M&E data as required; Provides advice to Programme Managers on improving project performance using M&E findings;
- Supports AWA regional projects in M&E tasks such as reporting, project mid-term reviews and final evaluations; Identifies areas where technical support is required, provides training to AWA regional programmes as required;
- Supports effective collaboration between donors and regional projects on monitoring, evaluation and the communication of results;
- Supports the risk management process, in line with organizational risk management policies and procedures; Contributes to the review and update of the risk register;
- Facilitates and serves as liaison for externally managed evaluations;
- Integrates a rights-based approach, gender and diversity perspective in all monitoring, reporting and evaluation activities.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of programme implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning systems, techniques and practices, including outcome mapping tools and processes;
- Leads strategic planning, results-based management and reporting across the region; guides the formulation and monitoring of projects;
- Builds strong relationships with project partners, focuses on results;
- Promotes knowledge management and a learning environment;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her duties;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional and donor guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Director Africa and West Asia (AWA) Region
Operational Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of the AWA region where his/her work is implemented – which may imply field/international experience at some point;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, and all other activities related to monitoring and evaluation and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for more junior colleagues;
- May assume project management responsibilities.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Will also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Excellent knowledge in written and oral English required. Knowledge of at least one other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in development studies, business administration; public policy, international development or other relevant discipline; Advanced certification in M&E and/or statistics is advantageous;
- Minimum of five (5) years professional experience in monitoring and evaluation, responsible for implementing monitoring and evaluation activities of complex and multi-faceted international development projects, preferably with a focus on support to democratic institutions and civil society organizations;
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating project monitoring and evaluation systems from project initiation to closeout stages is essential;
- Knowledge of the major evaluation approaches, methodologies and methods is essential;
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans is essential; Experience in managing and providing training is essential.
Terms of Contract:
- International post
- Two (2) year fixed term appointment
- Salary EUR 4 495 NET plus benefits
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CET) 14 February 2021. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Send application: https://idea.easycruit.com/vacancy/application/2635181/25038?iso=gb
Company homepage: http://www.idea.int
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.