Dexis is a professional services firm that solves the most pressing social challenges in complex environments, paving the way for a more secure and prosperous world.
Dexis embraces diversity, equity, inclusion and strives to build and maintain a safe environment where we celebrate diverse backgrounds, treat everyone with respect, and value the unique lived experiences each person brings based on their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, military or veteran status, national origin, age, marital status or family status and related conditions.
At Dexis, you will experience a corporate culture of inclusiveness, fairness, and trust. You will be given the means and mentorship needed to succeed, and your creativity will be rewarded.
About the Position
Dexis Consulting Group (Dexis) is seeking a Program Manager (PM ) to support a project with USAID’s Office of Transition Initiatives (USAID/OTI) in Ethiopia. This five-year program is currently entering its third year of implementation. The program supports activities that aim to build an enabling environment for inclusive and peaceful national consensus processes by strengthening intra- and inter-group relationships and actions, advancing inclusive and constructive public discourse, mitigating mis/disinformation and hate speech, and responding rapidly in the wake of violent conflict. Dexis is USAID/OTI’s implementing partner in providing this assistance.
The PM will work closely with and report to the Chief of Party (COP) to oversee activity identification and development and provide technical oversight throughout activity implementation in the national Grants Management Unit (GMU). The role will oversee the Addis-based national GMU, which includes a Senior Program Development Officer (SPDO), Program Development Officers (PDOs) and Grants Managers (GMs). The PM will be responsible for facilitating the learning feedback loop, ensuring close cooperation with ESP’s monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning (MEAL) and research teams. The PM will serve as a member of the program’s Senior Management Team (SMT) and will work closely with the COP and wider SMT to support the development of the program’s Program Performance Management processes, including Rolling Assessments, Strategy Review Sessions (SRSs), and deliverables such as semi-annual and bi-weekly reports, and other requests that may come from either USAID/OTI or Dexis. The PM, as requested by the COP, will also represent the program before a range of audiences and in a variety of platforms, at the national, state and regional levels. The PM will ensure all actions and interventions adhere to USAID/OTI and Dexis technical guidance and align with global best practices, including the training of staff as required. Finally, the PM will also keep the COP regularly informed on all program matters affecting the national GMU, and assist the COP in meeting various technical, governmental, company, and USAID/OTI deliverables as requested.
This is a full-time position based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with an immediate start date and is open to expatriate (accompanied/family post) and national candidates.
- In close coordination with the national GMU SPDO, manage strategy development processes for the national GMU including facilitating continuing contextual analysis of the political context and the adaptation of the national portfolio in response; providing oversight of and guidance to the processes of regional engagement plan (REP) development; supporting engagement by the national GMU in internal and external forums to broaden understanding of the context and/or enhance the understanding of the impact of OTI’s work;
- Draft, edit, and make material contributions to the program document, the regional engagement plan for the national portfolio, any PowerPoint presentations, reports, studies, papers, survey instruments, and other operational and MEL-related documentation relevant to the national portfolio, as required;
- Ensure information-sharing within the national GMU and between other GMUs on programmatic lessons learned from grant implementation;
- Maintain rigorous focus on the achievement of the program’s results.
Activity Cycle Management
- Oversee and manage the national GMU (SPDO, PDOs, GMs) to ensure that established procedures are complied with for activity development, activity worthiness, activity implementation, management, monitoring, evaluation, and closing on the national portfolio of grants;
- Ensure that program implementation is in accordance with Dexis and USAID/OTI regulations and procedures. This will include monitoring grantee worthiness, ensuring that all procurement processes are perceived as transparent by beneficiary communities, ensuring fair and transparent processes, review of financial management, and monitoring activity implementation;
- Maintain responsibility for reviewing “Green Light” packages, closeout packages, weekly grants financial management, and troubleshooting grants mechanics as they arise;
- Conduct field visits to monitor activity implementation progress, outcomes, and challenges;
Working closely with SPDO, PDOs, the GMs, and DCOP Operations to oversee the development, design, implementation, and closeout of all small grant activities in the national portfolio. This includes:
- Support activity development during the YL process providing mentorship to (S)PDOs and carrying out technical reviews of activities developed, including initial review of the Purpose Tab, implementation plan, and objectives. Ensure the timeliness of activity development per ESP’s agreed upon timelines.
- Take responsibility for any STTA required in support of the portfolio, including drafting SoWs, supporting the recruitment and selection of STTA consultants, scheduling and mobilization, field implementation, and review and acceptance of work/deliverables completed.
- Support implementation of Direct Distribution of Goods and Services activities in coordination with the national procurement, logistics, finance, and HR teams, including providing input for vendor scopes, monitoring implementation, and overseeing delivery of goods and services.
- Oversee the close out process, ensuring each member of the GMU understands and performs their role in close out, and making sure contractual deadlines are met. Ensure the timeliness of activity closeout per ESP’s agreed upon timelines.
Program Performance Management (PPM), reporting and representation
- Under the direction of the Chief of Party, participate in the development and implementation of the program’s Rolling Assessments, SRSs, bi-weekly, and semi-annual reports, and other requests that may come in from USAID/OTI and Dexis.
- Work with the Chief of Party and Regional Program Managers (RPMs) on the management, implementation, and coordination of all events, technical forums, conferences, and roundtables.
- Represent ESP and Dexis in meetings with the private and public sector stakeholders as requested by the COP.
- Work closely with other senior managers to ensure that the program consistently employs the values of Dexis, ensures the highest ethical standards, emphasizes the importance of communication and teamwork, promotes collaboration with other donor-funded projects and activities, adheres to USAID/OTI and Dexis technical guidance, and directly contributes to the attainment of the program’s contractual deliverables.
- Other duties as assigned on an ad hoc basis by the COP.
- Master’s degree, or higher, in international relations, development or related fields.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant, progressively responsible management experience, including at least two (2) years of direct supervisory experience.
- Two (2) years of experience managing USAID programs, preferably USAID/OTI programs.
- Demonstrated experience and a proven track record of implementing and/or managing small grants focused on transitional governance, conflict, and mitigation activities.
- A combination of technical familiarity and management skills that span the subject areas covered by the program (i.e. political dialogue, intergroup relations, conflict mitigation).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.