The International Republican Institute (IRI) an international non-governmental organization (NGO) is seeking resumes/CVs for a Program Officer to support and guide program implementation for the International Republican Institute’s programming.
The Program Officer will work to ensure that all program activities are implemented efficiently, timely and in line with the values of the organization. S/he will work as part of the organization’s program team and assist in developing program strategy, drafting program activity proposals and reports, working with the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) officer, and overseeing activity budgets. The Program Officer performs these functions according to direction provided by the Resident Program Director (RPD) and the Resident Program Officer (RPO). This position reports directly to the RPO with personnel development from both the RPD and RPO.
The organization is hiring individuals to work in Addis Ababa and may include periodic travel to other regions of Ethiopia.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordination and implementation of IRI’s program activities according to grant requirements and project workplans;
- Conceptualize, research, and design new program interventions consistent with IRI program objectives and available budgets;
- Research, write and edit time-sensitive program documents and budgets, activity reports, funding proposals, and training materials;
- Research and write reports that include but not limited to political updates, activity reports, success stories, and case studies;
- Provide efficient and timely action on administrative and financial matters, written assignments and submission of reports;
- Cultivate relationships and communicate with civil society organizations, relevant government officials, local partners, and members of the diplomatic and donor community on behalf of his/her supervisor, and represent IRI at public functions as requested;
- Work in concert with IRI M&E and program personnel to monitor and evaluate the performance of IRI and partner organizations program activities, identifying successes and failures and recommending program adjustments accordingly;
- Assist with all aspects of team projects and objectives, and lead the development of work products in collaboration with other staff;
- Mobilize program participants, the media and stakeholders for events and program activities;
- Update and maintain program files and program participants’ contacts for monitoring and evaluation and internal reporting;
- Monitor Ethiopian political current events and developments to provide political and programmatic analysis and recommendations for the RPD and in reports, approved social media and blogs as needed;
- Ensure efficiency and transparency in the use of program resources;
- Advise the Resident Program Officer and senior management team on needs for program implementation strategy in line with evolving context; and
- Travel from time-to-time, independently and/or as part of a team, to various locations throughout Ethiopia to support IRI’s programmatic objectives; and
- Any other duties assigned by the Resident Program Officer or his/her immediate supervisor and/or on behalf of the organization.
- At least 5 years of experience in international development; experience working with civil society or organizational strengthening and youth inclusion is a bonus;
- Experience in project cycle management, coordinating project activities, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience writing reports and project proposals;
- Bachelors or better in Political Science or related field;
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize workflow to tight timeframes, handle multiple tasks, and be flexible with changing priorities.
- Conversant in matters related to the following:
- Promoting meaningful participation of all citizens in the political systems, including women, youth, and other traditionally marginalized groups.
- Harnessing the comparative advantages of media and technology to promote citizen understanding and engagement;
- Facilitating and assisting in capacity building and goal achievement for local organizations and civic groups.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Experience working on international donor-funded democracy, civil society strengthening, organizational development and good governance programs;
- Experience with project design, planning and management tools that include but not limited to log frames, Gantt charts, monitoring and evaluation plans, stakeholder’s analysis matrices, and budgets;
- Strong command of English language, with excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal communication skills;
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace; and
- Understanding of the social, political and economic context of Ethiopia;
- Basic financial management skills;
Successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- An organized approached and ability to plan workload;
- Excellent writing skills, including an ability to communicate complex ideas and policies;
- Experience of event organization;
- Detailed oriented and organized;
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines;
- Strong communicator, both verbally and in writing; and
- A collaborative, team-oriented individual
How to Apply
To apply, interested candidates should:
Send a cover letter and current resume/CV to IRIethiopia@iri.org and JFindley@iri.org by September 27, 2019.
Please include the following in your cover letter
- minimum salary requirements (or current salary),
- how your experience and qualifications fit the requirements,
- projected start date,
- where you found this posting.