BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs ( IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED ) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme ( UNOSAT ). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organization manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis, GIS and remote-sensing. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, which allows particularly IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
We are currently looking for a REACH Senior Field Officer
Position : REACH Senior Field Officer
Starting Date : April 2021
Over the last two years, Ethiopia has witnessed a surge in violent conflict following major domestic political shifts. Large-scale displacement, killings, and destruction of property have further exacerbated the impact of pre-existing and cyclical climate-related crises across the country. Late 2019 and early 2020 have brought additional humanitarian crises in the form of a large-scale desert locust infestation, Ethiopia’s worst in 25 years, and the global COVID-19 pandemic, which counted 98,391 cases in Ethiopia as of 5 November and has led to lockdowns and transport bans in many regions that restrict access to markets. Furthermore, unrest in Tigray region during November 2020 has seen large-scale displacement, contributing an approximate 1.1 million additional people needing assistance in Amhara, Afar and Tigray regions. All of these events have severely disrupted livelihoods, affected the availability of staple market commodities, and threatened to sharply escalate humanitarian need for vulnerable populations across the country.
In 2021 and beyond REACH is looking to expand information support to the humanitarian response in several key areas, including a Joint Market Monitoring Initiative (JMMI) and a Humanitarian Situation Monitoring to improve the understanding of hard-to-reach areas. Key strategic aims are to increase geographic and sectoral coverage and to enhance advocacy capacity through strengthened data collection and targeted information provision.
Under the supervision of the REACH Research Manager, the REACH Senior Field Officer is responsible for the management and implementation of REACH assessments across multiple bases. The REACH Senior Field Officer shall be responsible for:
Assessment Preparation and Training
- Undertake travel and conduct preliminary planning missions in assessment sites
- In coordination with the REACH Research Manager prepare all details related to data collection (field schedule, daily collection quote, logistics and administration) according to specified methodology
- Coordinate, plan, and facilitate assessment team trainings jointly with the assessment teams
Internal Coordination and management
- Manage internal workplans of REACH Field Officers in active bases (variable according to deployments)
- Weekly situation analysis (context, activities completed, plans for next week, etc.)
- Monthly REACH activity report noting activities completed against REACH strategy and objectives;
- Recruitment, training, and appraisals of REACH Field Officers. Highlight day-to-day and long term issues to REACH Research Manager
- Participate in the development and implementation of REACH Ethiopia country strategy, in liaison with the REACH Country Coordinator
Data collection and validation
- Provide regular support to the REACH collection team leaders
- Accompany data collectors in the field to ensure accurate data collection as specified in the methodology.
- Ensure care of all REACH inventory including daily check of assessment mobile phones
- Support Field Officer in downloading all data at the end of each data collection day and spot-checking online database for accuracy at the end of each day; question team leaders about any inaccuracies observed and review in daily team debriefs.
- Prepare final assessment reports including lessons learned, incidents and timeframe
- Assist in preparation of assessment factsheets and consolidated reports.
- Coordinate field operations with participating agencies
- Report regularly to agency focal points about assessment progress and any changes to the plans
- Prepare and dissemination assessment results and presentations in relevant coordination forums and meetings
To perform any other duties as requested.
- At least 2 years of experience with increasing responsibilities in management and coordination of field staff;
- University degree preferred;
- Confirmed capacity to analyze the political and social environment;
- Excellent management and problem solving skills;
- Familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements.
- Fluency in English required, professional proficiency in at least 2-3 federal working languages of Ethiopia an advantage
- Ability to operation Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management Software.
- Ability to work independently.
How to Apply
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a Single document. i.e. the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second pate, detailing three work related referees and contacts to [email protected] and received on or before 5.00PM on 04 th April, 2021, with the Subject line ‘REACH SENIOR FIELD OFFICER_ADDIS ABABA’. Please don’t attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.