The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) wants to recruit employees in the Sr. Dissemination and Communication Expert vacant position the details of which are mentioned below.
About the Ethiopian Red Cross Society
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) was established in 1935 and is one of the oldest and largest humanitarian organizations in Ethiopia. ERCS provides services to communities affected by natural and manmade disasters through the provision of emergency responses, ambulance and first aid, family reunification, essential drugs, water and sanitation, and other humanitarian services. ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. Currently the ERCS has a structure consisting of 12 Regional Offices, 34 Zonal Branches and 131 District/Woreda Branches, 599 Woreda Red Cross Committee and 5871 Kebele Red Cross committees.
ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs relating to food security, climate change adaptation, livelihood diversification, and institutional capacity building interventions, with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. ERCS works in partnership with the Ethiopian Government, International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC), International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), partnering National Societies, members, volunteers and the communities we serve.
Key performance Areas
Directly accountable for Humanitarian Diplomacy and Communication and shall have the following major functional duties.
- Participates and assists to plan, organize and communicate the dissemination and communication activities of the Society; Assists to prepare new strategies, guidelines and tools or update existing’s on dissemination and communication activities of the society;
- Supports in coordinating, representing the Society in dealings with press, radio, television and other publicity and social media engagements; Attends meetings and social functions and events, and uses skill in communication(PR) techniques to obtain desired visibility;
- Prepares standard dissemination and communications aid materials, visuals, and guides for wider usage within the ERCS; Advises and proposes best suited communication and disseminations activities to address issues or problems
- Prepares and organizes the documentations of the Society’s, emergency and development activities, programs, projects and other communications matters and ensures that such documentations are made on video, films, movies, and photographs, print materials and publications as appropriate; manages the audio visual documentation of the Society;
- Undertakes a planned, systematic training and awareness dissemination of the RCRC history, fundamental principles, ERCS activities, correct use of the emblems to internal and external stakeholders, at national and branch level;
- Develops and maintains media relations to ensure visibility and /or coverage of the work of the Society by the media; builds up contacts with media representatives and partner organizations;
- Manages the supply, handling and distribution of audiovisual equipment, teaching materials/printing and materials needed for publicizing and documentation of the Society’s activities; and follows up the evaluation and proper and effective utilization of same;
- Boosts and maintains the external visibility of the Society through publicizing its activities in various media and providing feedback from the public to service providers;
- Strengthens communication, disseminations and information sharing for enhancing synergized organizational processes within the Society and for external visibility and accountability;
- Enhances stakeholders’ recognition of the Society as lead agency in humanitarian work through which resources can more effectively be channeled to serve the needy;
- Supports documentation, publication and communication of the Society’s objectives, principles, core values and activities for increased visibility, corporate image, and greater access to volunteers and others; Follow up, collect and compile reports and feed backs on communication and dissemination;
- Continuously assesses and evaluates the effectiveness of the Society’s nationwide communication and dissemination programs and looks for ways of their improvement so as to bring about positive changes;
- Reviews and selects communication material compiled and submitted by the subordinate staff of the work unit in preparation for documentation and publicity;
- Represents the Society in dealings with press, radio, television and other publicity media, attends meetings and social functions and events, and uses skill in communication techniques to obtain desired visibility when assigned by superior;
- Collects planned feedbacks, monitors various media, prepares responses to protect the image of the society; as well us conducts preliminary study and research for the betterment of the communication and partnership activities and report regularly on these activities to the superior;
- Cooperates with and regularly sends news to the international counterparts for further publicity and shares experience with other sister national societies; Organizes and stages special social forums, events, days, anniversaries and field visits, that further enhance the Society’s goodwill and favorable publicity;
- As per the general directions given to her/him produces press releases and news reports to the media houses as part of media relations so that media houses support ERCS activities through complementary space, advertising space and air time; Constantly updates the Society’s website and posts on daily bases the social media and ensures that vital documents are accessed;
Work Unit: Humanitarian Diplomacy and Communication Service
Reports to: Head, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Communication
Terms of employment: Six-month contract
- Second /First degree in International/ Public Relations and Political Science, Peace and Security, Foreign Policy and Diplomacy, International Law, Public Management, Journalism & Communication, Foreign Language, Literature, Public Administration and Management, Social work /Sociology/Social Psychology/ Social Anthropology / Governance and Development Studies
- 6/8years relevant work experience