EWLA is a non-governmental and not-for-profit Association established in 1995 envisioning an Ethiopian Society where women enjoy equal rights with men. It has three major programs namely Legal Aid, Public Education and Capacity Building and Research and Advocacy.
Through these programs, EWLA has been able to ensure justice for 200 thousand women and double number of children, 80 thousand community members through direct platforms for awareness raising on gender and related issues, and 5000 community members on radio and television. Exerting relentless effort for justice and gender equality, EWLA has passed through different trajectories of organizational development involving opportunities and grave challenges. In the past 10 years, the Associationtapped every possible opportunity to work for and with women and endured hardships caused by the politico-legal environment with concerted efforts of its dedicated staffs, Board members, and volunteers. The challenges were so significant that they led to downsizing of staff members, making research and advocacy activities weaker and causing overall decline in capacity of service delivery and advocacy of EWLA.
Following the reform in Ethiopia, realizing better opportunity for Civic Society organizations, currently, EWLA has hit the road for revival. It has started transformational efforts through expanding its resource base and revitalizing engagements that grew dimmer in the past 10 years because the aforementioned reasons.One of the measures EWLA is taking to realize its transformation is to develop a five-year strategic plan. Therefore, the Association seeks professional service to develop the plan and this TOR is prepared to guide mode of service delivery in producing strategic plan document.
Objective of the consultancy service is to develop strategic plan that enables EWLA to discharge its mandate strategically.
Scope of the Task
In this consultancy service, the consultant is expected to do necessary reviews on internal and external contexts and develop a three-year strategic plan document.
Tasks of the Consultant
The tasks include but are not limited to:
- Reviewing the vision and mission as per EWLA’s mandate
- Conducting stakeholder mapping and SWOT (strength, weakness, opportunity and threat) analysis
- Undertaking situation analysis of EWLA’s operations to present
- Identifying focus areas and develop strategic objectives and key result areas for operation of the Associationusing a consultative process and application of appropriate tool(s) of analysis,
- Reviewing institutional capacity, organizational system and financial and administrative situations of the Association in light of its mandate, strategic objectives to be identified and key result areas; and making recommendations if any
- Presenting summary of the strategic plan document to stakeholders, board members and staff members of EWLA to validate the draft Strategic Plan
- Incorporating comments and finalizingthe Strategic Plan and submit it to EWLA in hard and soft copies.
Regular Updating for Quality Assurance
The consultant is expected to update Management of EWLA on progress of the task after two weeks that counts from commencement of the task. She/he can also feel free to contact the Management or any other relevant personnel for any support or clarity issues related to the task.
- At least a Masters Degree in Planning, Public Administration, Development Studies, Law and related fields
- A minimum of five years professional experience in strategic planning and management
- Previous work experience in legal issues or exposure to justice planning and related undertakings in justice system is an added advantage
- Proven experience in working with Civil Society Organizations and their stakeholders in government sector offices especially in the area of capacity development
- Three-year strategic plan document
- Copy of summarized power point presentation for participants on validation workshop
How to Apply
The consultant is expected to accomplish this task in 21 working days including the time for regular updating. Details of the time frame are presented in the next table.
Interested applicants can send their technical and financial proposals in sealed envelopes only to Ethiopian Women Lawyers Association Head Office, P.O.Box 13760.