Lawyers for Human Rights (LHR)’ is an Ethiopian civil society organization re-registered on September 19 2019 before the FDRE Civil Societies Organizations Agency in accordance with Proclamation No. 1113/2019. The objectives of the Organization includes increasing the participation and contribution of lawyers in the area of human rights through trainings and other capacity building activities, supporting lawyers across the nation and help exchange of ideas, information and experience for better protection of human rights and prevalence of human rights, litigating human rights before domestic courts and other relevant organs to ensure protection and promotion of human rights recognized under the FDRE Constitution and other laws, awareness creation for justice organs on international human rights instruments ratified by Ethiopia, providing free or low cost legal services for victims of human rights violation particularly disadvantaged communities, influencing the government to enact new laws or amend existing ones to give full protection for human rights, familiarizing the idea of human rights defenders (HRD) among the lawyers etc.
The Purpose of Code of Conduct
To set standards on working relation, ensure transparency and integrity, and protect the organization from potentially risks contravening government regulations and established working procedures.
Objectives of the Assignment
The purpose of this assignment is to develop a code of conduct for LHR.
- Purpose, role and responsibility of organizational stakeholders;
- Membership interactions;
- Induction and Education
- Conduct a needs assessment from LHR members.
- Conduct an organizational review that assesses the strategic framework for the LHR and develops proposals for high-level business process changes;
- Produce a Strategic Review Report that presents the findings of the Review and provides solid proposals of code of conduct for LHR.
- In developing the code of conduct, the Consultant will develop a Change Management strategy to effect the needed change in the organization.
A code of ethics accomplishes this by providing guidance about values and choices, while a code of conducts clearly states which actions are appropriate and which are not. Most codes of ethics have a wide scope , covering a broad range of specific and non-specific topics. So the consultant should reflect the scope in the manual or guideline.
Code of conduct Composition
The code of conduct shall reflect: what a code of conduct should include. The most common sections to include in a code of conduct are: ethical principles – includes workplace behavior and respect for all people. Values – includes an honest, unbiased and unprejudiced work environment.
Roles and Responsibilities
Ethics codes can be distinguished according to two principle categories: the group enacting the code , and the functions of the code within that group. Codes provide a positive stimulus for ethical conduct and helpful guidance and advice concerning the main obligations of the members of the group to which it applies.
LHR’s Roles and Responsibilities
LHR is responsible for:
- Preparing the Terms of Reference
- Selecting, contracting and managing the Consultant
- Covering the costs of and managing communications and logistics associated with the assessment
- Actively engaging with the Consultant during the assessment
- Identifying stakeholders and relevant documents as needed
Roles and Responsibilities of the Consultant
The Consultant is responsible for:
- Preparation of a work plan and an appropriate Assessment Framework
- Actively engaging with staff, Board members and other stakeholders through the use of participatory processes
- Regular progress reporting to LHR
- Production of deliverables in accordance with the requirements and timeframes of the Terms of Reference.
Produce the deliverables in accordance with the requirements in this Terms of Reference and incorporate feedbacks and insights of the LHR staff incorporation with inception report.
Duration of the Assignment
The consultant is expected to complete the work within 30 working days from the signing of the contract.
Qualifications of lead or individual consultant
- Minimum Master’s degree in management, economics, social science.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in design and/or establishing of organizations.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of organizational politics context.
- Excellent written and spoken skills in Amharic and English.
- Excellent research, analytical and communication skills, both oral and written
- Understanding of Human Rights sector would be a definite asset
- Having knowledge of and/or proven expertise in participatory approaches in conducting assessments and facilitating code of conducting processes, and scode of conducting document preparation
How to Apply
Interested applicants shall submit Technical proposal including credentials and curriculum vitae and financial proposal including license and other certificates with a cover letter to the following emails: [email protected] CC to: [email protected] ; [email protected]