Agriterra is the development and advisory organisation of the agricultural sector in the Netherlands. It focuses on strengthening the position which cooperatives and farmers’ organisations in Africa, Asia and Latin America occupy in the market, in the supply chain and in consultations with governments. Next to local teams of business advisors, Agriterra uses peer-to-peer advice from the Dutch (cooperative) agri & food sector. These Agriterra experts, named agripoolers, share their experience in and knowledge of production improvements, service provision, agricultural extension, cooperative entrepreneurship and advocacy with their peers in other countries.
Agriterra is the specialist in the field of increasing the business performance of cooperatives and farmers’ organisations in developing countries. Its ambitions in terms of service provision, knowledge, efficiency and efficacy are sky-high. Cooperatives and farmers’ organisations in developing countries can count on becoming stronger through adopting Agriterra’s advice. This is based on the concept that a strong and well-organised agricultural sector is necessary to ensure rapid economic growth and a more equitable distribution of prosperity and democratic well-being.
In Ethiopia, Agriterra has been working with Cooperatives under the Farmers fighting poverty project since 2015. It supports cooperative farmer-led economic development in six regions of Ethiopia: Oromia, Amhara, Tigray, Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples Region (SNNPR), Benishangul, and Dire Dawa. Agriterra mainly acts as a facilitating agency and provides trainings, advisory services, and exchanges to farmer-led business initiatives.
we are looking for people who are entrepreneurial, focused on performance, clients and results, and able to work in a team.
As a business advisor, you provide expert advice, coordinate advisory trajectories with clients (farmer cooperatives and organisations), and have an advisory and broker role in the closing of business deals with financial institutions and the private sector. In order to achieve this, you initiate and maintain a network that includes cooperatives and farmers’ organisations, financial institutions, traders, service providers and other stakeholders in the value chain. You initiate and guide change trajectories with clients, and do lobby, mediate and support negotiation processes, as well as prepare business deals. This is therefore a dream job for you! At least if you are a real pioneer!
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide business development advice and facilitate change management to cooperatives that allow them to realise their business growth potential
- Investigate opportunities to finance business plans of cooperatives, support the establishment of contacts and the negotiation for business agreements with banks, investors and other financiers (governments and the business sector).
- Help develop financially sustainable structures within cooperatives and farmers’ organisations to enhance their service provision and agricultural extension to their members.
- Provide clients with guidance relating to change trajectories, to promote the interests of farmers, associations and cooperatives, with the relevant authorities.
- Collect and systematise information about clients and advisory processes, such as financial reports and annual overviews.
- Build expertise in a specific area of interest (for example supply chain management, marketing or HR management) and/or on a specific subject or subject of current interest, with a focus on product development, in which he/she will act as the expert point of reference, both within and outside the organisation.
The successful candidate will have:
- MBA/MA/MSC above 3- years’ experience, in business economics, cooperative management or a similar field
- Extensive experience in and knowledge of one or more of the fields in which Agriterra achieves results, such as cooperative business development, market chain development, agricultural service provision, entrepreneurship, governance, and financial management.
- Relevant practical knowledge and experience in the Ethiopian agri & food and/or cooperative sector.
- High level of proficiency in Amharic and English.
- Fluent in Afan Oromo.
- Enthusiastic, focused on results and service, and with adequate advisory or training skills.
- Flexible (no 9-5 mentality), able and willing to frequently travel and stay in rural places (up to 40%) but based in Addis Ababa.
- Experience in working with international development organisations.
- Computer literate (MS word, MS excel and accounting software).
- Appreciative communication skills and attitude.
What we have to offer
A position which requires you to be highly self-reliant and use your pioneering skills in order to operate in dynamic international markets and in close cooperation with the agricultural business sector. At Agriterra, the work environment is collegial and ambitious, and the focus is on achieving results. As a business advisor, you will be working under the direct supervision of the agri-advice manager and will be part of the local team of business advisors as well as of the Africa team. Agriterra is offering a full-time position for a period of one year, with the intention of extending the contract. The working conditions and additional benefits are good. The salary offered will depend on your relevant work experience.
How to Apply
Only applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their application letter, CV and filled application form (From the link below)
through an e-mail to [email protected] with reference code AG 0121.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.!!!