Reference number: Rec/010/21
CORDAID is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. CORDAID believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations - the bottom billion.
Purpose of the position/Job’s aim
The Communications Officer (CO) will help develop, implement, and manage a communications strategy aimed at growing Cordaid Ethiopia’s audiences and stewarding its brand. The CO will leverage digital and other communications tools, such as social media, email, owned and earned media, to advance Cordaid Ethiopia’s visibility and underpin fundraising goals. Reporting to the Country Director the CO will help the Country Office Program Team to drive a strategic vision for integrated communications and development activities.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
- Strategy : Develop communications strategies that bolster Cordaid Ethiopia’s reputation as a leading international relief and development organization in Ethiopia. Craft messages that engage philanthropists, the press, thought leaders, and the general public. Build productive relationships with journalists, write effective pitches, and press releases, edit newsletters, and plan and implement successful conference call series for donors.
- Planning : Develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan informed by the country and corporate strategies and in line with the operational context and flexible enough to be adapted as needed.
- Content Marketing and Management : Distil Cordaid Ethiopia’s relief and development programming activities and outcomes into engaging, accessible, savvy content for a variety of target audiences. Develop multi-channel marketing campaigns to drive awareness of and engagement with Cordaid Ethiopia’s mission.
- Social Media : Devise and implement the organisation’s social media strategy aimed at continuously building the platforms’ following and increasing engagement. Manage all institutional social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram) with support from programme and PMEAL staff whom the CO will provide guidance on this activity. Advise colleagues on how to build their brand on social media to promote Cordaid Ethiopia’s visibility objectives.
- Email Marketing : Support team members in devising and executing email strategies that effectively engage stakeholders. Support the team in developing email best practices for the organization.
- Website : Actively manage and maintain Cordaid Ethiopia’s Website content.
- Initiate opportunities for media coverage. Build and maintain strategic partnerships with national and global media with support from junior members of the team and field staff.
- Marketing : Implemented paid marketing campaigns that activate target audiences and meet stated goals. Strategize which platforms, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Display, etc., drive the greatest ROI.
- Regularly analyze and report on Cordaid Ethiopia communications performance.
Required qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, or related field.
- Minimum of three years of communications experience working for a non-profit (NGO), media outlet, marketing, or ad agency preferably in an international development/aid context.
Skills & Competencies
- Possess excellent skills in: Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat), Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and (Web) Content Management Systems (e.g., WordPress). Basic graphic design and HTML skills are strongly required.
- Familiar with online fundraising, email marketing and donation platforms. CRM experience is a plus.
- Keen interest in and knowledge of international relief and development or related fields; prior experience working at an international organization strongly preferred.
- Must be consultative and able to effectively collaborate and engage with the Cordaid Ethiopia team and other stakeholders internally and externally to meet communications objectives.
- Excellent problem solver; eager to share out-of-the-box ideas.
- Excellent organizational and time management abilities with strong skills in managing multiple projects.
- Fast, flexible thinker who can shift gears on short notice.
- Must be able to take initiative as needed without direct supervision.
- Professional written and oral communication skills in English and Amharic (knowledge of other local languages would be added value but not required).
- Demonstrated ability to write stories, articles, and draft communications materials at the required professional quality.
How to Apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with both phone and email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email [email protected] . The vacancy reference number along with the title of the post needs to be written in the subject of the email.
CORDAID is an equal opportunity employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications submitted cannot be returned.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early as interviews are done on a rolling basis and the advert can be closed when a matching candidate is identified
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.