CATALYZE is a $250 million 5 to 8-year program, designed to catalyze $2 billion in private capital, especially to underfinanced social sectors (such as education) and higher risk countries (especially low-income and post-conflict countries) around the globe, complemented by a cross-cutting inclusion of gender-lens investing. CATALYZE will provide services to many missions and bureaus that “buy in” to tap the CATALYZE investment and pay-for-results project management expertise. Our aim is for investors to explore and find commercially viable opportunities and approaches to creating jobs, developing sustainable social services, tightening and rationalizing supply chains, and advancing inclusive growth.
CATALYZE: Market Systems for Growth (MS4G) will drive private enterprise expansion to catalyze Ethiopia’s future economic growth and prosperity. MS4G intends to foster enterprise-driven growth, especially among private enterprises that have high growth potential and the capacity to catalyze job creation throughout market systems. MS4G will address systemic challenges, including building business development services capacity, creating a more conducive business environment, building the financial sector infrastructure and capability within private finance providers, and expanding the digital economy. MS4G will catalyze private sector growth by improving access to finance and facilitating transactions through targeted interventions across market systems (demand, supply, and enabling environment). Expanded access to finance will also drive change across the market system by increasing business revenue and necessitating job creation. The program has an estimated life of project funding of $55-$70 million, and is expected to operate for four years.
Palladium is currently seeking applications from qualified candidates for short-to-medium term assignment of Enterprise Development Specialist. The successful candidate, in close collaboration with the program team will review all literature available, identify constraints, design and facilitate the development of various interventions of enterprise market systems that aim at enhancing the growth of enterprise using the MS4G approach. Working closely with Enterprise Development team, the candidate will ensure that MS4G objectives are met in a timely manner.
The primary performance location is Addis Ababa.
The consultant will work under general guidance and supervision of the Country Director and in support of the technical lead responsible for the Enterprise Development objective of the Market Systems for Growth project. The main objective of this assignment are as follows: (1) provide overall support to the SME enterprise development program; (2) assist in designing and implementation of Business Advisory Services Providers capacity building, mentoring and coaching programs; (3) advise on the selection of business advisory service providers (BASP) to provide enterprise development services; and (4) devise additional support to the MS4G team as may be required from time to time.
- Review project documents including plans, assessments, reports and other related information and prepare an updated plan of action for the enterprise development program during the contract period;
- Design various new interventions to complement current programs and implementation plans to meet the program objectives;
- Undertake market opportunity assessments for enterprise development and business advisory service providers.
Assess training programs and facilities within the country for BASP capacity development program;
Evaluate training manuals and curriculum to determine human capacity development partners’ capacity to train BASPs
- Prepare BASP and enterprise development success factors;
- Conduct assessment of enterprise markets system to identify constraints and opportunities for businesses improvement, including for women and youth run enterprises.
- Facilitate work plan development, implementation and ongoing monitoring within the enterprise market systems.
- Participate in identification, assessments and selections of the potential implementing partners for selected and emerging intervention areas.
- Build the business model and technical capacity of selected service providers that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of enterprises,
- Perform other functions as may be assigned by the Market Systems for Growth technical team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of enterprise development, business growth assessment, technical assistance program design, and a range of development business support services;
- Proven experience in supporting businesses grow
- Understanding of a range of enterprise business opportunities supporting business;
- Strong analytical and operational knowledge of enterprise development.
- Strong networking, partnership and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and in writing, work independently and as part of the team, and work effectively with co-workers, partner agencies and the private sector;
- Computer proficiency in MS word, excel, and power point is required
- Fluency in the English language and strong written and spoken communication skills
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in enterprise development
- Three (3) years of work experience with SMEs
- Experience in marketing, business development and access to finance;
- Experience working with donor funded programs