The United Nations Industrial Development Organization ( UNIDO ) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDO’s four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Department of Agri-Business (PTC/AGR) provides a range of technical cooperation services to assist developing countries add value to the output of their agricultural sector and generate employment opportunities in off-farm activities for rural communities, thereby contributing to increased food security and a sustainable reduction of poverty. The conceptual framework is that of agribusiness value chains: comprehensive analyses offer a rigorous base for the deployment of specialized services targeting the weaker links of the chain: agricultural mechanization, modern processing technologies, packaging of perishable products, the promotion of food safety in the processing and regulatory environment; and interventions to improve competitiveness and productivity.
PTC/AGR drives the Organization’s mandate of creating shared prosperity. To this end, it supports initiatives to build human capital and raise total factor productivity through focused vocational training and industrial skills development activities. Based on its experience in post crisis and human security programmes and projects, the Department responds to complex emergencies through activities that contribute to socio-economic security both at national and local level such as restoring and upgrading local productive capacities; building and strengthening institutions; and honing the resilience of the most vulnerable, including youth and women. The Department cooperates closely with other organizational units of UNIDO, and in particular with the Department of Trade, Investment and Innovation in the provision of its services.
A Creative Hub can be defined as “a space that induce creative thinking, which is a combination of creativity, curiosity and communication”. Additionally, it is a “place, real or virtual, where designers meet ordinary people to bring creative influences and creative acts.” The creative hub is also a platform that offers services and spaces to creative start-ups and designers, in order to foster innovation and development by improving creativity and access for capital which is necessary to initiate a new business.
Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Start: 1 June 2020, end: 23 November 2020 (with the possibility of extension)
- Developing an integrated communication strategy for the Hub incorporating PR, Marketing and Online.
- Implementing communication plans to increase brand awareness and recognition for the organization.
- Developing relationships with key media to secure and grow media coverage both online and offline (national and international level).
- Writing Ethiopian press releases for local and national media.
- Facilitate partnerships and oversee communication activities, that effectively promote the organization and its products.
- Creation and development of print and online advertising, email marketing, web site management and content development, press releases, by lined articles, papers, corporate videos and marketing collateral, RFP review and development, marketing budget development and cost tracking.
- Organize different events to promote the hub and good communication practices.
- Develop content for social media, websites, newsletters, press releases, and any other distribution channels.
- In collaboration with HUB manager develop weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for the decision-making body (Management board).
- Plan, create and oversee the design, content, and production of marketing materials.
- Develop media relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and online media Coordinate all public relations activities.
- Manage media inquiries and interview requests.
- Maintain a keen understanding of HUB trends affecting clients and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy surrounding them.
- WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
- WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
- WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
- WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential –and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
- WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
- WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
- WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
- Advanced university dergree in Communication Studies, Business Administration, Marketing, Public Relations with a specialization in Manufacturing Industry.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Amharic is required. Fluency and/or working knowledge of another official UN language and other Ethiopian languages is an asset.
Field of Expertise
- A minimum of 3 years practical experience in the field of communications, PR including business start-ups, with particular emphasis on fashion and/or sales. Experience at the international level involving technical cooperation in developing countries. Exposure to the needs, conditions and problems in developing countries.