Chemonics International, a Washington D.C.-based international development organization, seeks to fill the position of Social and Communications Behavior Change (SBCC) Specialist for the anticipated USAID Strengthening Accountable Governance and Civic Engagement (SAGCE) project in Ethiopia. The $30 million, five-year project will aim to strengthen sub-national government, increase citizen engagement, and strengthen civil society oversight using locally led, problem-driven, adaptive approaches. The SBCC specialist will be based in Addis and is responsible for leading all aspects of behavior change with target entities. Candidates should possess considerable successful experience in assessing perceptions and leading change campaigns. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership and technical expertise to design, develop, and monitor SBCC strategies in collaboration with the government and selected institutions, through a mentoring and learning by doing approach, considering the importance of the local context in decision making and behavior
- Design and implement a comprehensive, community based SBCC campaign to raise awareness and relay messaging on the core topics targeting the private sector, community members, families, and key local government actors
- Work with program leadership on key modalities for SBCC messaging platforms including radio, mobile communication, peer support and local messaging
- Develop comprehensive communication tools and SBCC campaign materials and activities, using evidence-based theories and methodologies, in close collaboration with program leads
- Partner with local government and communities on SBCC events
- Work with the project team members ensuring SBCC training inclusion in key workshops and capacity building events
- Oversee the program and technical aspects of the procurement process in developing requests for proposals, soliciting, selecting, and overseeing vendors providing SBCC services and products
- Manage the work of any SBCC firm, advertising agencies, public relations experts, production vendors, community mobilizers, and/or consultants hired by the project to assist with SBCC or community level work. This includes building capacity of local CSOs to implement quality and successful SBCC work
- Master’s degree is required, preferably in behavior change communications, marketing, economics, or social sciences, such as psychology, sociology, or cultural anthropology.
- Minimum 5-8 years of experience in designing, planning, and implementing SBCC efforts and/or community level activities, including communication campaigns and trainings.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate closely with government staff, effectively manages their expectations, and builds capacity.
- Proven abilities to set priorities, to multi-task, and to work collaboratively across technical disciplines.
- Strong management skills are required, along with the ability to work well in a team environment.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Oral and written fluency in English required
How to Apply
To apply visit this link: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/062aeefda2cd49a285d327128552c19
The deadline for submission is April 30, 2021. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.