Thematic Technical Director – Food Security, Livelihoods, Resilience and WASH
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Programme Development and Quality (PDQ) Team
LOCATION: Addis Ababa
GRADE : Executive B
POST TYPE: National
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
The Thematic Director is responsible for technical development and quality of all Save the Children’s Food Security, Livelihoods, Resilience and WASH programs in Ethiopia in both humanitarian and development contexts. This includes developing a multi-year thematic strategy and annual plans; identifying and initiating innovative and technically sound project ideas, approaches and methodologies that can help the Country Office effectively achieve its strategic breakthrough goals; prepares high quality thematic technical briefs for internal and external uses; proactively engaging with Country Office’s (COs) business development team, SC members and donors in identifying funding opportunities through presenting and marketing of those ideas; playing a major/leading role in technical designs of new programs; developing and maintaining strong external relations with key stakeholders in particular with donors, relevant Government of Ethiopia at Federal level, clusters and coordination forums; ensuring the development and application of quality assurance standards/benchmarks, tools etc. across the programs of the CO and application of Save the Children’s Common Approaches related to the sector. The position also includes responsibilities of overseeing the provision of quality and timely technical assistance to all projects; leading/managing a team of Senior Technical Specialists; ensuring the production and utilization of high quality, well-articulated project evidence and research by working together with Monitoring, Evaluation and Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team of the CO; supporting and strengthening Communities of Practice forums to disseminate learning and knowledge; and supporting advocacy and campaign strategies.
The Thematic Director oversees the work of Food Security & Livelihoods (FSL), Resilience and WASH Technical Specialists involved in in implementation of programs. As such s/he will ensure cross functionality, coordination, standardization of program implementation in different projects, and that quality of program are implemented according to nationally/internationally accepted and recommended standards. He/she represents SC values and principles in interactions with staff and external audiences. These values and principles include commitment to the mission of Save the Children, team orientation, quality management and leadership development, introducing systems and procedures to strengthen staff motivation and productivity. The Thematic Director will also expected to provide hands on strategic and program quality support to operation by conducting regular filed travels. S/he is a member of Program Development and Quality (PDQ) Department Senior Leadership Team, CO’s Extended Senior Management and National Management Team.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Director PDQI
Dimensions: Save the Children works in all regions in Ethiopia with a current staff complement of approximately 1,700 staff and current expenditure of approximately US$90+ million each year.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Four direct reports and a team of approximately six Senior Technical Specialists.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
In line with SCI’s full spectrum programming, the following key areas of accountability apply to SCI Ethiopia’s work in emergencies (acute and chronic) and in development settings.
Strategic Programme Development
- Provide overall leadership for the strategic development and quality implementation of the FSL, Resilience and WASH programs, including development of strategic plans and supporting a portfolio of projects, research and initiatives required to achieve of strategic objectives.
- Prepare high quality thematic technical briefs for internal and external uses.
- Lead the thematic strategic planning, tracking and reporting processes of the sector.
- Support Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) for the documentation of program achievements
- Communicate program achievements against agreed strategic objectives and milestones, and any emerging new evidence for a wide range of internal and external audiences.
- Actively communicate and coordinate with the other Thematic Directors, relevant technical specialists and project managers to ensure synergy and integrated approaches across themes that take into account current good practices.
- Develop and maintain strong external relations with key stakeholders in particular donors, relevant Government offices of Ethiopia at Federal level, clusters and coordination forums
- Ensure a deep understanding of Ethiopian Government’s priorities; communicate these to his/her team and relevant Program Operations team; and use these for program development and implementation.
- Proactively establish, maintain and cultivate key external relationships including with the GOE, donors, multi-lateral organizations, and INGOs
- Regularly coordinate with member technical staff. Identify technical support requirements, inclusive of field visits, as and when necessary.
- Serve as the senior representative for all relevant external representation opportunities
- Contribute to the development and regular updating of an SCI Ethiopia fundraising opportunities matrix.
- Identify and present innovative and technically sound project ideas, approaches and methodologies that can help the Country Office effectively achieve its strategic breakthrough goals in collaboration with PDU and SCI members including possible funding opportunities.
- Work proactively by engaging with CO’s business development team, SC members and donors in identifying funding opportunities through presenting and marketing of technically viable ideas
- Support pre-positioning for identified opportunities including understanding government and donor priorities, and identifying partners
- Present compelling FSL, Resilience and WASH business cases through analytical assessment of donor and Ethiopia’s priorities in the sector
- Develop and maintain contacts with current and potential donors, potential partners and key technical agencies, in coordination with the Program Development Unit (PDU) and DCD PDQ. Attend relevant donor meetings and visits.
- Ensure that high quality technical inputs are provided while designing new FSL, Resilience and WASH project proposals
- Ensure that technical proposals are relevant through application of Save the Children’s Programming Principles; proactively and systematically gathering information from beneficiaries and stakeholders in the field
- In collaboration with MEAL ensure current technical knowledge, research and current/previous programming lessons learned and good practices are widely shared and used in proposals.
Staff and Budget Management
- Lead and manage the FSL, Resilience and WASH team.
- Provide ‘dashed-line’ technical leadership for all SC FSL, Resilience and WASH Program technical staff in Ethiopia.
- Coaches, mentors and provides structured training as necessary to team members.
- Develop and manage budgets for staff of the FSL, Resilience and WASH team.
- Conduct regular, comprehensive performance management. This includes work plans and performance reviews and support of staff learning and development.
- Identify succession plans and team members with high capacity for future promotion.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Relevant post graduate level education or extensive experience in relevant field.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a development and humanitarian environment leading and managing the development, implementation and technical quality of food security, resilience and livelihood (including youth empowerment and employment) and WASH programs
- Proven experience in developing sectoral or sub-sectoral strategy and technical documents
- Track record in designing successful proposals and in developing donor relationships in the sector
- Deep understanding of policy, practices, challenges and opportunities in Ethiopia in relation to the sector
- Experience in research and policy analysis and communication
- Proven representation, influencing and advocacy skills and experience
- Strong analytical and writing skills with demonstrated ability to write technical briefing papers (ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner) and reports.
- Proven ability to manage a networked team of professionals, with good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to motivate staff.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Experience working with government partners, with partner agencies, including local partners, and in consortia and relevant to resilience programming.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
- Excellent spoken and written English
Very Good skills in using computer applications.