At RENEW, we see opportunities in Africa where others too often only notice the problems. We invest rather than provide handouts, by finding promising businesses, connecting them to investors around the world and growing them into world-class companies. We do this because we believe that many growing businesses together create the engine that lifts entire nations out of poverty. Our vision is to become the best middle-market investment firm in Africa and investing in 20 countries across the continent, and we’re looking for people that get excited about our values and vision to join our team.
Since 2012, we have been pioneering an innovative blended-finance model that partners with the development community and focuses on investing in high-potential small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Africa. This blended model allows us to invest in smaller deals that are often overlooked by larger investors but are too big for microfinance. We then help these companies build disciplined, gender-smart management systems and teams and grow them into market leaders. As a result of our investment work in Ethiopia, we have become one of the most active SME investment firms in East Africa, and the Impact Angel Network or IAN (our network of angel investors) has grown to become the largest North American-based angel network dedicated to investing in SMEs in Africa.
We are inviting passionate and qualified candidates to apply to join our team as Business Operations Manager in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The role will support our Portfolio Growth team, reporting directly to the Group COO, and be responsible for a wide range of projects.
In candidates, we look for those who align with our values: loyalty, integrity, trustworthiness, commitment and a trailblazing attitude. We welcome challenges and face them head-on each and every day! What we do is not easy, but it is rewarding and forces us to grow. As such, we hire individuals who are committed to their work, take pride in what they do and are relentless in advancing projects forward in a systematic manner. Additionally, the people that flourish at RENEW are mission-driven; they see the big picture and the long-term result of their work and sincerely wish to make a lasting economic impact on the continent of Africa. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply.
We are looking for a Business Operations Manager to monitor our portfolio companies' operational functions and build processes that meet our business needs.
The main focus of the Business Operations Manager will be.
- Monitoring and improving daily functions
- Building processes based on our business goals
- Measuring the efficiency of systems and procedures
The responsibilities will include the tracking of business results, performing cost-benefit analyses and monitoring production KPIs. You should have experience in the same or similar role, managing all business operations and setting goals across the entire organization. You should also demonstrate great leadership skills and be able to communicate the vision of the company across all levels. You will ensure that all business functions are in line with our strategic goals.
The focus of the position is to enhance the operational procedures, systems, and principles in the areas of information flow and management, business processes, enhanced management
reporting, and system expansion. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with companies' policies and applicable laws.
You have a well-rounded understanding of business concepts, practices, and procedures and rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals while performing a wide variety of tasks. Creativity, persistence, and latitude are expected. Ultimately, you will ensure that all business functions are in line with our strategic goals.
- Ensure all systems operate smoothly and align with our quality standards
- Maximize the efficiency of all business procedures
- Establish production KPIs and conduct quality assessments
- Monitor daily operations and address potential issues when they arise
- Build processes that meet our business objectives and ensure compliance
- Monitor financial data and recommend solutions that will improve profitability
- Coordinate with the HR department to ensure our hiring plans meet our business needs
- Take into account the needs of external and internal stakeholders and incorporate them into new strategic plans
- Previous experience as a Business Operations Manager or in a similar role
- Strong knowledge of operations management
- Experience with forecasting models and sequencing
- Experience with databases and project management software
- The ability to interpret financial data and allocate budgets
- Exceptional communication skills and teamwork
- Bachelor’s degree in business or equivalent
- 2-5 years of professional experience with a demonstrated track record of performance
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills in
- English, both verbally and written
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to interact with multiple cultures (Expats and Locals)
- Very strong reporting skills –analytical and good with numbers, using Excel, gathering data, and presenting information
- Gritty attitude and eagerness to contribute to the team’s success as a whole
All candidates will be tested as part of the interview process. References will be required.
Location and Travel Opportunities:
The position is based out of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with frequent occasional local travel.
How to Apply
Application Process:RENEW invites qualified applicants to 1) submit their CV, along with 2) a cover letter describing their qualifications related to the requirements for this position, their salary history and expectations and the reasons for applying, to [email protected] Applicants should include their undergraduate, graduate GPAs in their CVs, and their favorite book.