- Produce creative programming in multi-media formats, based on robust research, which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
- Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
- Represent BBC Media Action as part of the PMU, coordinating with consortium partners to ensure that the design of SBCC activities is as effective as possible and that project milestones are achieved throughout the inception phase.
- Contribute to the design and planning of project related communication activities, providing support and advice to consortium partners as required and as appropriate, through coordination with BBC Media Action teams in Ethiopia, the UK and internationally.
- Act as the main focal point between BBC Media Action and the PMU, ensuring the effective two-way flow of information and communication between the parties, and that all requests for information are responded to quickly and effectively on both sides.
- Utilizing the relevant formative research, work closely with BBC Media Action Research, and Production and Advisory teams in both Addis Ababa and London to contribute to a Communications Strategy which will inform BBC Media Action’s SBCC activities during the implementation phase.
- Work closely with the BBC Media Action Production team and consortium partners to develop the design and specification of the communication hubs in the target areas.
- Comply at all times with BBC Media Action’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policy and ensure that all direct reports, freelancers and external suppliers are aware of their responsibilities under these policies. Report any related concerns as soon as they become apparent, including those in relation to the actions of consortium partners.
- Any other tasks which may arise through delivery of the role.
- At least seven years’ experience in communications with a development focus, with demonstrable experience in designing, planning and implementing communication activities.
- Experience of designing, planning and implementing outreach activities with a strong awareness of cultural contexts and the safeguarding risks involved in working with vulnerable groups.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to build relationships with PMU members and partners, maintaining collaborative working practices between the PMU and all relevant staff at BBC Media Action.
- Strong writing skills, experience writing project briefs, reports, Terms of Reference and other project documents.
- Experience in humanitarian focused initiatives is an advantage.
- Ability to make sound judgments on potentially sensitive programmatic issues.
- Experience of working with vulnerable groups including young people, displaced populations and refugees.
- Strong commitment to – and understanding of – development issues in Ethiopia, with specific reference to migration within and across the country’s borders.
- Fluency in English and Amharic. Fluency in Tigray and Somali a definite advantage.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Decision Making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
How to Apply