- Company: UNOPS
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Development and Project Management
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries. UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
The Ethiopia Multi-country Office (ETMCO), which covers Ethiopia, Sudan and Djibouti, was created in 2014. Since its creation, ETMCO has been an active member of the United Nations Country Team, working closely with other UN organizations to support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). ETMCO designs projects to reinforce and bolster development priorities of the host-governments and other partners in sustainable procurement, project management and infrastructure through direct implementation, advisory and transactional services. ETMCO is committed to promoting the principles of sustainability and national capacity development through meaningful contributions, and serving people in need.
Under the supervision of the Project manager, the Deputy Project Manager assists the Project Manager in the daily Project Management both organizational and substantive matters, including budgeting, planning, supervising, monitoring and coordinating the Project. The main responsibility of a Deputy Project Manager is to ensure and follow up and report the project results in accordance with the Project Document, Annual Work Plan and the rules and procedures established in the UNOPS Project Implementation Procedures.
Deputy Project Manager is also responsible for the day-to-day operations of the project(s) and provides services to the different donors, partners and beneficiaries. S/he is expected to meet and exceed the organization’s performance and delivery goals.
Deputy Project Manager will assist the Project Manager in preparing annual project reports in line with UNOPS requirements, project implementation reports, as well as any other reports requested by UNOPS. S/he must keep regular contact with the project experts and consultants to inform them about the project details and changes.
Project Delivery and Performance ? Development and maintenance of the project plans, Implementation of approved Project Plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the Project Implementation Documents.
? Provide financial monitoring over project commitments, expenditures and balance of funds. Assist the Project Manager in assuring proper project delivery to ensure proper accounting of national co- financing relevant to the project. Organize control of budget expenditures by preparing payment documents and compiling financial reports including those required by relevant national procedures.
? Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
? Advise the Project Manager of any possible deviations from the plan and possible corrective action.
? Deal with contract implementation, monitoring and reporting of all third party contracts implemented by the UNOPS Police stipends and projects.
? Develop a management plan for all project contracts including, evaluation of subcontractor’s personnel qualifications, and monitoring delivery of contractual terms, certification of reports and payments, and issue of contract amendments.
? Provide objective oversight of various contract management processes and ensure their transparency.
? Develop and implement systems for internal control that would ensure compliance with contractual terms and conditions, in collaboration with the procurement team.
? Identify continuous improvement and lessons learned.
? Identify risks and plan risk mitigation strategies, report on the progress of deployment activities, so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved.
? Manage the production of the required outputs, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary.
? Ensure that quality of work packages and deliverables complies with the quality requirements defined in the Implementation Plan.
? Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers.
? Accept goods, services or works delivered by suppliers.
? Identify and report to the supervisor potential business opportunities for UNOPS as well as Identify and report threats to UNOPS’ internal business case to supervisor.
? Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is compiled with Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions.
? Effective implementation of corporate directives, guidelines and strategies, and establishment of relevant management targets, as well as monitoring of achievements/results.
? Support the Project Manager in the preparation of all programme related documentation, particularly; Monthly Reports, Quarterly Reports, Annual Reports, End of Programme Report and Handover Report.
? Draft project budget, budget revisions and procurement plan;
? Developing technical specifications for UNOPS equipment requirements and support the conduct of associated procurement processes for stipends and support project activities.
? Development and Implementation of local technical solutions to program threats, identifying shortfalls and timeframes for prevention and mitigation measures.
? Ensure the development and implementation of project financial management guidelines and control mechanisms, in conformity with UNOPS rules and regulations.
? Manage budgets, cash flow, obligations to ensure that deliverables are met, and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
? Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project.
? Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel.
? Manage expenditures against the budget (based on accurate financial reports).
? Where the Project Manager has no delegation as a committing officer, s/he retains these responsibilities and will monitor and instruct/request others to carry out the relevant commitments and disbursements.
? Perform any other tasks and duties requested by UNOPS Project Manager.
Monitoring and reporting
? Ensure that the project produces the required products within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits;
? The Deputy Project Manager is also responsible for the project producing a result capable of achieving the benefits defined in the Business Case.
? Establish solid working relationship with the Project boards, client and key project stakeholders, providing advice and guidance on specific and general project management issues and where appropriate, institutional reform, rule of law and police related project support;
? Participate in relevant coordination meetings and other working groups as well as manage communications to ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products;
? Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance)
? Manage the information flows between the Project Board/Country Director (CD) and the project(s) ? Liaise with designated commercial banks on operational and administrative matters.
Knowledge management and innovation
? Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice;
? actively interact with other PMs and the PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice;
? Provide feedback to practice leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies;
? Complete lessons learned as per reporting format;
? incorporate lessons learned from others as per planning format.
? Lead, motivate, manage and support staff, contractors and consultants under her/ his supervision ensuring high quality service delivery;
? Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established;
? Ensure that performance reviews are conducted timely and objectively;
? Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the Head of Programme;
? Have a thorough understanding of UNOPS personnel contract modalities;
? Prepare Terms of Reference (ToR) for required inputs in the project’s personnel and operational arrangements such as staff, individual and institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods and services, organization of training, seminars.
? As delegated by the Project Manager and in his/her absence, the Deputy Project Manager select, recruit and train team as required by project plans;
? Perform the Team Manager role, unless delegated to another person(s);
? Perform Project Support role, unless appointed to another person or corporate/programme function;
? Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS standards.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful performance of the Deputy Project Manager will contribute considerably to the strengthening of existing and future programming and consequently reinforces the visibility and image of the UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
Education: Master degree in management, Business Administration, Project Management, or other relevant discipline is required. A Bachelor’s degree with a combination of an additional 4 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
Certification: Prince 2 certification is desirable
Experience: A minimum of at least 2 years of relevant professional experience specifically in the field of Project Management with experience of successful implementation and oversight of projects is required for Masters degree holders. A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience will be accepted for bachelor degree holders. Experience in project planning and forecasting, risk management, tracking and monitoring and problem solving are desirable.
Language Requirements: Full working knowledge of English is required.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
This is a local position and therefore it is open to only Nationals of Ethiopia.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractual Agreement Contract level: LICA -9 Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on
- work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.