The Ethiopian Women Lawyers Association (EWLA) invites competent and qualified candidates to apply for the vacant position of Executive Director of which the detail requirements are mentioned below.
Brief Highlight of EWLA: Established in 1995, the Ethiopian Women Lawyers Association (EWLA) is a non-governmental, non-partisan and non-for profit local organization mainly working for the promotion and advancement of women’s rights in the country. It strives towards ensuring gender equality and women empowerment and fights Gender Based Violence and Violence against Women and Children through research and advocacy; public education and capacity building; and free legal aid service. Since its establishment, EWLA has provided free legal aid service for disadvantaged women and children, provided public education, and done research and advocacy work through its structure stretched from its head office in Addis Ababa to the branch offices in Amhara, Oromiya, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz, Dire Dawa, and Southern regional states. Currently, EWLA has also a structure at grass-roots level in which there are strong Voluntary Committees in five regions and in a number of Woredas and Kebeles.
Job Summary: In conformity with the delegation of authority entrusted by the Board of Directors (BoDs), to which the Executive Director is directly accountable for, she is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Major tasks involve:
- Organizational policy formulation, interpretation, and execution;
- Organizational strategies and program development;
- Directing the implementation of the organization’s core programs, such as defining research and advocacy areas, identifying areas where there is knowledge and awareness gap, and ensuring the provision of quality and efficient legal aid service etc.;
- Fundraising, networking, and community outreach;
- Financial and human resource management at head office and branch office levels.
- Addis Ababa with periodic travel to branch offices
- LLB in law with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience or
- LLB in law and a Masters degree in Law, Management, Business administration, or any other related field with 5 years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to gender equality, women’s rights, human rights, gender based violence, etc. in the Ethiopian context.
- Familiarity with key national policies, institutions and programmes relevant to human rights in general and Women’s rights in particular.
- Experience of building positive and effective relationships and applying strong advocacy competencies with a wide range of stakeholders including across Government, the public, civil society organizations, donor partners, etc.
- Knowledge of the Civil Society sector
- Experience in staff development, supervision and teambuilding
- Experience in resource mobilization
- Experience in programme design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent managerial and interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication and public relations skill
- Proven commitment in gender equality and women’s rights advocacy
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and a resume with all the relevant credentials via Ethiojobs. Net. Or send their application directly to EWLA at email@example.com
Vacancy closing date: October 24, 2019