November 18, 2021
Job Title: Food Security and Livelihood (FSL) Program Coordinator
Reported to: Program Manager
Duty Station: Country Office, Addis Ababa with frequent travel to field offices
Salary: As per the organization scale
Duration: One year with possible extension based on performance
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started its operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa and Gulina, Oromia Regional State; Chiro and Meayso and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information,
The food security and livelihood program coordinator is responsible for leadership, coordination and supervision of all IR Livelihood sector including cash programming with the overall objective of improving the wellbeing of poor urban and rural population under IR Ethiopia program emphasizing widowed women, pastoralists and unemployed youth. S/he conducts situation assessment on families’ livelihood actions, pilot testing and documentation of potential practices in the areas of vocational training, microenterprises, livestock development, small scale irrigation, set-up selected appropriate livelihood activities, provides capacity building and technical assistance to the IR field Team as well to beneficiaries, propose necessary materials, equipment and inputs, train pastoral community on irrigation management, train traditional cooperatives and support with tools and seeds. The Livelihood coordinators monitors progress and provide on-going feedback to program Manager, proposing adjustments in annual implementation plans according to emerging community needs and priorities.
Livelihood Program management and development in line with the direction set by Islamic Relief
· In co-operation with Program Manager, develop and manage the Livelihood Programs, contributing to the development and review of Islamic Relief country strategy;
· Jointly responsible with Program manager for the effective implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on livelihood projects, in line with agreed standards and donor requirements
· In collaboration with concerned staff develop Livelihood program and project proposals and assess the existing capacities to manage and implement the work. This includes participating in preparation of livelihood funding applications and reports for external funders, in liaison with the Program Manager
· Develop annual, biannual, quarterly and monthly plans for livelihood projects as per the requirement and produce reports accordingly
· Develop different tools for livelihood programs in collaboration with M&E coordinator and ensure their application
· Promote, capture and disseminate learning from livelihood programs and Projects , and ensure that this informs future program development
· Realize Islamic Relief principles by acting in line with its standards, and by promoting and supporting local capacity building to jointly agreed accountability, gender, safeguarding children
· Keep up-to-date with development issues and trends, both within the country and globally in relation to Livelihood sector
Managing effective relationships with stakeholders
· Develop, nurture and manage relationships with Stakeholders in line with the Islamic Relief principles and standards in agreement with the Program Manager in the target areas
· Work with stakeholders to regularly assess the quality of the relationship, ensuring that effective communication channels are in place, and that any shortcomings are addressed;
· In collaboration with the filed staff ensure the relevant stakeholders are informed about the intervention and facilitate conducive environment for stakeholders to play their role effectively
· Ensure the participation of local community in the design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of the projects where applicable
Internal and external representation
· In co-ordination with the the Program Manager develop, nurture and sustain relationships and effective communications with relevant stakeholders, including local government, other agencies working in Ethiopia
· In agreement with the Program Manager and other concerned staff , sustain relationships with relevant donor agencies, seeking opportunities for livelihood program funding, where applicable
· Communicate with other teams within IR, to ensure that the Livelihood program is well understood, and that information is available for fundraising and other communication, including publications, education, etc. This may involve participation in sessions/events with Supporters, communities of practice, working groups, etc., as agreed with the line manager.
Financial management and monitoring of program and projects
· In close co-operation with the relevant roles in the finance and funding teams, prepare, manage and monitor budgets relating to Livelihood program/Project budgets or instigate budget revisions according to evolving needs, in line with the finance guidelines and procedures;
· Develop relevant risk registers and monitor them in conjunction with the Program Manager
Systems and compliance
· Effectively use Islamic Relief program management information systems to ensure program and project information is up-to date. This will include producing management information to support decision making;
· Ensure compliance with agreements, regulations and requirements of the organization and donors.
· Lead, manage and support direct reports (and staff under shared management arrangements), including setting objectives, conducting annual performance development reviews;
· Providing support and coaching to direct reports to plan, implement and monitor and evaluate programs and projects effectively.
· Work closely in team with other sector coordinators and contribute to the maximum of his knowledge to the program team in his/her areas of profession as deemed necessary
· Perform other functions as requested by the program Manager
Qualifications and other Requirements:
· Master’s degree in the field of economics, business management, rural development, Agricultural economics, Development studies and other social science related field with 5 years’ relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree in the field of economics, business management, Agricultural Economics and other social science with 8 years of relevant experience in humanitarian sectors.
· Proven experience in strategic planning, proposal writing , networking and high level representation
· Prove management experience of food security and livelihood programmes (preferably in NGOs)
· Proven experience in project cycle management, as well as designing monitoring and evaluation systems
· Competence in developing and managing budgets
· Demonstrated experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead and motivate others
· Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
· Very good interpersonal, communication (written and oral English) and presentation skills;
· knowledge of operational area local languages (Afar, Somali, Oromiffa and Amharic are plus)
· Able to plan, prioritize and organize self and others
· Good IT skills, MS Office applications
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies that also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age**,** sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.