1. Company Overview
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organization, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status
2. Project Background
CATALYZE is a $250 million 5 to 8-year program, designed to catalyze $2 billion in private capital, especially to underfinanced social sectors (such as education) and higher risk countries (especially low-income and post-conflict countries) around the globe, complemented by a cross-cutting inclusion of gender-lens investing. CATALYZE will provide services to many missions and bureaus that “buy in” to tap the CATALYZE investment and pay-for-results project management expertise. Our aim is for investors to explore and find commercially viable opportunities and approaches to creating jobs, developing sustainable social services, tightening and rationalizing supply chains, and advancing inclusive growth.
CATALYZE : Market Systems for Growth (MS4G) will drive private enterprise expansion to catalyze Ethiopia’s future economic growth and prosperity. MS4G intends to foster enterprise-driven growth, especially among private enterprises that have high growth potential and the capacity to catalyze job creation throughout market systems. MS4G will address systemic challenges, including building business development services capacity, creating a more conducive business environment, building the financial sector infrastructure and capability within private finance providers, and expanding the digital economy. MS4G will catalyze private sector growth by improving access to finance and facilitating transactions through targeted interventions across market systems (demand, supply, and enabling environment). Expanded access to finance will also drive change across the market system by increasing business revenue and necessitating job creation. The program has an estimated life of project funding of $55 million and is anticipated to operate for four years. MS4G will promote expansion across agribusiness, light manufacturing, and telecommunications & ICT (including financial technology). Across all initiatives, there will be a cross-cutting focus on women and youth, as well as a focus on ensuring that disparate ethnic groups and regions equitably benefit from the interventions.
4. Primary responsibilities
Support the trade and investment leads in country.
- Develop strategies and programs to improve private sector productivity and competitiveness and expand market access;
- Develop programs to attract private sector capital from both domestic and international sources;
- Identify enabling environment and an effective regulatory framework for businesses to thrive;
- Support MS4G investment partners participating in and monitoring activities as it relates to the related areas of responsibility;
- Analyzing country’s economic and trade policies; and
- Develop program for export facilitation, foreign direct investment promotion, trade promotion through trade-policy analysis, the resolution of trade barriers, and negotiations.
- Support and/partner with research firms to for empirical trade information data gathering, analysis, interpretation and prediction to influences of economic, market, political, and other events;
- Developing strategies for business facilitation, trade and investment promotion initiatives, regulatory, and global trade-policy positions.
- Drives economic partnership with Ethiopia, which is focused on key sectors and three overarching themes ( xx).
- Develop implementation of action plans in each area, and help to maximize their impact.
- Design, Develop and Organize US-Ethiopia Business Council, a high-level ministerial meeting designed to accelerate progress on economic development, trade & investment and job creation.
- Increase the overall value of US trade and investment to Ethiopia by tackling barriers faced by business seeking to access the Ethiopian market.
- Outreach to exporters, importers and investors to monitor and identify the challenges faced by companies trying to access the Ethiopian market (e.g. local content requirements, customs clearance procedures, intellectual property issues, etc)
- Monitor and document the scale and impact of those barriers, especially from an inclusive growth and sustainable development perspective (as well as specific commercial opportunities);
- Monitor and document Government of Ethiopia (GoE) motivations, perspective, and policies introduced;
- Priorities barriers and devise strategies to overcome them through a mixture of different instruments (lobbying, technical assistance, high level interventions, etc).
- Develop, Design and manage intervention to centrally deposit top 10 barriers faced by US business when exporting/investing into the Ethiopian market, through uploading newly identified barriers, update with progress on resolution to aid the resolution and in the longer-term prioritization of the barriers in terms of their economic and strategic value.
- Develop networks with key partners to get a deeper understanding of Ethiopia’s regulatory bodies having a bearing on trade and investment. Partners will include: relevant government ministries; Local Ethiopian businesses and international firms operating in Ethiopia; academic institutions and business organizations.
5. Reporting Requirement
The role reports to the relevant Investment and Trade ` Manager with the following reporting requirements:
- Weekly update calls with the Team Leader/Chief of Party
- Weekly update calls with the line manager.
- Attendance at meetings with clients, governments, business partners, suppliers and other stakeholders.
- Monthly review of the project Monthly Management Report before submission to the line manager.
- Exception reports as and when required.
- Reports in relation to the project necessary at a company level as and when required.
- Any other reporting request as required.
- Externally the role will liaise with clients, national governments, business partners, suppliers and other stakeholders.
7. Authority levels
- A high degree of autonomy with appropriate consultation where applicable. The authority is governed by the Trade and Investment Portfolio Manager and limited by the Palladium Operating Framework that consists of Policies, Guidelines, Standard operating Procedures, Business Processes and Tools.
- The role will be required to manage, analyse and make sound recommendations to the line manager.
- Ensure compliance with Company policies, processes and procedures and client policies, rules and regulations.
8. Person specification
- Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in economics, commercial law, or related fields.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Excellent leadership, representation and organizational skills.
- Ability to build a strong team and client relationships.
- Ability to foster successful partnership approaches and relationships among a variety of organizations/institutions.
- Successful track record in delivery of complex programs.
- Strong focus on systems, impact and results.
- Strong technical track record relevant to the project.
- Strong writing and presentation skills as well as attention to detail and quality.
- Strong management skills with ability to mentor, coach, lead, develop and evaluate employees.
- Ability to manage personnel and achieve results across a matrix management structure.
- Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyze financial reports.
- At least five years professional work experience - preferably with exposure to policymaking.
- At least three years professional work experience in Ethiopioa;
- Proven analytical skills, ability to understand and communicate complex policy issues effectively to non-specialist audiences.
- Excellent collaboration skills, including the ability to work with colleagues in other departments.
- Knowledge of, and a keen interest in, sustainable development.
- Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Postgraduate degree or professional qualification in, economics, commercial law, or related fields.
- Experience of policy-making, particularly in trade policy or economic policy-related fields
9. Key Competencies requirements
Given the rapidly changing landscape of our industry and organisation, the ability to pursue, adapt and lead change. In particular you need to demonstrate flexibility in response to the changing business environment that drives a dynamic, growing and high performing organisation.
- Critical Thinking
The ability to see the bigger picture and affect business drivers through decisions and actions that increases your own ability to contribute to the long-term profitability and growth of the company.
- People & Relationships
Achieving your business strategy by developing and using collaborative relationships and developing and valuing our people.
- Self-Development and Accountability
Driving high performance and ownership for learning and striving to develop your own knowledge and capabilities to support the organisation's success.
- Business Acumen
The ability to see how your accountabilities fit into Palladium group, the impact of your individual actions on the bottom line and how the effective management of resources will drive high performance and efficiency
How to Apply
Qualified applicants can submit their cover letter along with an updated CV via email to https://palladium.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/2/home/requisition/10961?c=palladium
For more information and a detailed Job description, please visit our job portal at https://palladium.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/2/home/requisition/10961?c=palladium