Purpose of the Position :
The main purpose of this position is to maintain an overall strategic and operational oversight of the IT function with an aim to improve and meet the information technology needs which demonstrably support and add value to the WAE and Global strategy of WaterAid. Establishing, maintaining and updating an IT network, sufficient component of related hardware, systems and software necessary for delivery on WAE’s mandate. Administer and implement ICT infrastructures for WaterAid Ethiopia, and contribute to organizational policy with regard to quality standards and technology related planning. The IT Officer will be proactive and make recommendations for improvement of IT support as required. He/she will also ensure that ICT infrastructure remain in tandem with technological advancement while working with the SMT, RT and London in advising on how emerging user and systems needs can be met.
Job Responsibilities and Tasks :
Management and Planning:
- Provide direction for the WAE ICT function in line with WAE’s overall strategic direction, structure and programmes of work for the next five years and spearhead its implementation
- Develop and/or review WAE’s ICT policies & frameworks and ensuring that they are implemented to meet international aid delivery standards of WA
- Produce financial plans for ICT function in WAE
- In conjunction with the DTS and DoO ensure regular monitoring of ICT infrastructure and systems to ensure that they continue to meet organizational demand at the highest possible level
- Ensure good communication and knowledge exchange between Addis Ababa and other CPs in the region and also maintaining a close link with IT in London
- Ensure that User feedback is collected and used to improve the delivery of this function
1. Planning, analysis, specification design, documentation, training and maintenance of information systems.
2. Provide adequate level of support for IT services to the organization and users.
3. Implement and manage key systems and services that provide the required ICT environment for WaterAid Ethiopia. This will include Active Directory system and the domain controllers, DNS, DHCP, Exchange e-mail system, File servers, share point services, shared drives, IIS, etc.
4. Ensure the roll-out and implementation of new global systems in the CP
5. Ensure standard backups are completed successfully on a daily basis and in accordance with the established procedures, ensuring that the tape head is cleaned weekly, the tapes are rotated in a strict sequence, test restorations are conducted on a regular basis and that the most recent weekly (or monthly) tape is always kept off site and in a secure location. Additionally, ensure that the off-site data warehousing facility is operational and running as planned.
6. Responsible for registration and administration of WaterAid’s operating system, software licenses, and IT assets.7. Maintain and regularly update thorough documentation relating to the network configuration and its administration, detailing problem determination and resolution, thus ensuring pooled knowledge in the event of a disaster and the usual technical staff being unavailable.
8. Implements and manages the storage facilities that provide for backup and archiving of critical data, sharing of common data and active devices, and take every precautions concerning sensitive information.
Systems and Procedures :
1. Acting as the primary point of contact for hardware problems and arranging for maintenance and repair with approved suppliers
2. Assist strategy development by administering the whole cycle of systems development, identifying possible IT requirements and outlining specifications for specific solution, identifying software, hardware, and working practices required to fulfill the functional specification as defined by staff, and planning and implementing changes to elements to elements of the IT service.
3. Identifying training and support needs for users and developing and/or sourcing the training required to encourage WaterAid staff knowledge, understanding and utilization of IT hardware and software deployed at WaterAid.
4. Monitor and ensure that IT policies, such as Internet, email and anti-virus policies are adhered to for all desktop users.
5. Implemented is functioning properly and take corrective action if any violations are identified.
6. Ensure the implementation of IT/data disaster recovery planning and in particular to maintain strategies related to technical service provision and recovery.
Learning and Development :
1. Keep abreast with new developments and advancements in information communication technology (ICT) and make suggestions for improvements to services provided.2. Identifies commonly recurring requests for assistance and provides solutions, on how these can be prevented or minimized, through training, user awareness, changes in configuration, etc. to WAE and its partner staff.
3. Inform users of any anticipated downtime and ensure that alternatives are available to users for email communication.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual reports to the line manager on IT related activities.
- Conduct inventory of IT assets and be responsible for the year-end physical count and report.
- Provide regular feedback to the line manager, senior management team on IT issues covering all aspects of IT operations and highlighting any issues, problems and special initiatives taken.
- Plan, implement, monitor and report that the ICT budget is used obtaining competitive prices from suppliers, where appropriate, to ensure cost effectiveness.
Job/ Person Specifications :
Qualification (Know How) :
* Bsc degree qualification in IT, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related subjects
* MCP certification in Windows 7 or above
* Minimum of 5 years relevant and proved experience in Senior IT position
Essential Technical Knowledge:
* A thorough understanding of all Microsoft desktop Operating Systems and an excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
* A good knowledge of computer hardware including, printers, scanners and mobile devices
* Good level of understanding of Local area networks (LANs) and basic understanding of Wide area networks (WANs),
* A thorough understanding of anti-virus software and how viruses propagate and infect.
* Good knowledge of peer-to-peer e.g. in workgroup consisting of Microsoft Windows, server-based networking e.g. based on the domain model of Microsoft Windows and Active Directory,
* Good knowledge of LAN technologies such as Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, and Fibre Distributed Data Interface (FDDI) and LAN devices such as hubs, switches, routers
* Knowledge of Citrix and VMware View and user profile management
* Good knowledge of equipment for organizing, protecting, and troubleshooting LAN and WAN hardware, such as racks, cabinets, surge protectors, line conditioners, uninterruptible power supplies (UPS’s), KVM switches, and cable testers
* Awareness of data storage technologies such as RAID, network-attached storage (NAS), and storage area networks (SANs), and the technologies used to connect them, such as Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) and Fibre Channel
* Awareness of technologies for securely interfacing private corporate networks with unsecured public ones, such as firewalls, proxy servers, and packet-filtering routers
* Awareness of technologies for increasing availability and reliability of access to network resources, such as clustering, caching, load balancing, acceleration and fault-tolerant technologies
* Awareness of network management technologies such as the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) and Remote Network Monitoring (RMON). Remote control tools to support IPVPN.
* Understanding of VOIP, SIP based telephony and Microsoft Lync software
Essential Personal Qualities:
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
- A team player, able to work in a collaborative way
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Ability to take on projects and work on own initiative
- Amharic and English speaker/writer.
How to Apply
Application Procedure :
* Applicants are required to send their application letter and CV via ethiojobs.
* Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
* Women applicants are highly encouraged to apply.