VA No.: 104959
The World Food Programme (WFP) is United Nations frontline agency in the fight against hunger, WFP is continually responding to emergencies. We save lives by getting food to the hungry fast. But WFP also works to help prevent hunger in the future. We do this through programmes that use food as a means to build assets, spread knowledge and nurture stronger, more dynamic communities. This helps communities become more food secure. On average, WFP aims to bring food assistance to more than 80 million people in 80 countries
WFP Ethiopia is working with the Government and humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
This job is found in Addis Ababa Country Office. The Jobholder reports to a more senior Information Technology (IT) Officer, Country Director or the designate.
Jobholders operate with minimal supervision and provide guidance to junior staff to ensure that objectives are achieved. They are responsible for a broad range of daily activities, analytical work and deliver technical support by modifying existing systems, and resolving straightforward issues/problems. They also develop and/or support the usage of systems and applications, data and databases.
To support the delivery of efficient and effective IT and Telecommunications (TC) services, contributing to sound, innovative solutions that enable staff to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
- Support the budgeting, planning and deployment of IT and Telecommunications systems that are aligned with business needs, in accordance with WFP corporate standards.
- Provide support to maintain IT and Telecommunications systems and networks, ensuring appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network issues; and supporting users to get maximum benefits from them.
- Install and configure new computer hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; support any technology upgrades as required.
- Provide data and documentation to support the procurement of TC/IT equipment and services at and in line with WFP rules and regulations.
- Collate data and contribute to the preparation of accurate reports on IT/TC investments and costs, providing information to inform decision-making by stakeholders.
- Develop technical skills and knowledge and build awareness of industry developments.
- Respond to queries from users, understanding and resolving issues, providing advice and ensuring IT policies, procedures, systems and tools are correctly applied to support them.
- Guide junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Support the capability building of staff through the Organisation and/or review of training programs aimed at developing skills/knowledge in IT and TC.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies in order to network, align activities and support possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of IT and Telecommunications.
- Interact effectively with colleagues and user groups to understand their needs and provide appropriate technical support.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness and contingency planning practices to ensure WFP is able to maintain basic IT services and/or quickly respond and deploy resources to affected areas at the onset of a crisis.
- Follow operational plans and deliver resource requirements at the onset of an emergency.
- Other as required.
Position Duration: One year with possibility of extension
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:
Education & Experience: University Degree with 2 years of professional experience in related field, preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, OR a master’s degree with at least 1 year of professional experience in related field. Trained on Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Operating System Platform; Cisco Certified (CCNA), Trained and Certified on Wireless Network infrastructure.Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage
How to Apply
This VA is open ONLY to Ethiopian Nationals.
Public access (for external VA): http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
WFP staff access (for internal and external VA): http://newgo.wfp.org/services/e-recruitment
Please note that WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.