September 06, 2021
Post Title: MEAL and PSI Officer
Report to: Senior Project Officer
Duty Station: Afar Regional State, Logia
Salary : As per the organizations scale
Required : One
Duration: Five months
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities - regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, Dekasuftu, Jigjiga, Afar Regional State; Ewa & Gulina and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us
The MEAL and PSI Officer will perform both functions of protection and inclusion and M&E activities and oversee project WASH, Food and NFI. S/he supports Emergency Project Officers and Community Facilitators in performance and quality management, undertake MEAL related activities of project being implemented in Afar region and responsible for establishing and implementing an appropriate monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems at the program area, based on evidence of good practices and in line with Donor requirements to help ensure the successful delivery and attainment of project goals and objectives. S/he ensures that strong MEAL system is in place so that the implementation of the project is of high quality and accountable to beneficiaries, partners and donors. S/he further works towards achieving “Leave no one behind” and “Do no harm” agendas, to be integrated into Emergency IDP response programs in Afar, ensures commitments towards Core Humanitarian Standards and inclusion Charter. The candidate must have the ability to build strong partnerships with key stakeholders to meet objectives and implementing IRE‘s protection, inclusion and safeguarding interventions.
Key working Relationship
· Work Closely with Senior Emergency Project Officer, PDQA Manager, PS&I officer and CRM Focal Person.
· Attend relevant woreda & community meetings as required and provide feedbacks if relevant.
· Work closely with other focal points (Safeguarding -PSEA, accountability, and gender and child protection focal points).
· Follow issues, communications and enquires coming from CO technical staff (PDQA manager, P&I officer and MEAL manager) and focal persons (safeguarding (PSEA), Gender, Child Protection,) are addressed timely to ensure mainstreaming of inclusion and protection into IRE Afar Office.
· Work closely with PDQA department and follow CHS commitments and accountability components are addressed in IR.
· Work with key stakeholders within Afar Region Chifra, Logia and Teru to build their capacity on safeguarding, protection and inclusion, which includes child protection, prevention of GBV, inclusion of all ages and abilities and accountable systems.
· Together with the Project Officers and Community Facilitators adopt sector specific M&E data management tools and provide training on the tools for project staffs and woreda experts.
· Collect good quality monitoring data in a timely manner and organize data received for reporting to the Senior Emergency Project Officer at field level and PDQA Manager at Country Office level.
· Participate in joint field monitoring, quality assessment and data validation, and provide feedbacks and recommendations for timely improvement.
· Support local communities, partners and staff on the program M&E framework, data management, and data analysis and results?oriented programming, monitoring and evaluation methods and principles and reporting systems.
· Lead on monitoring and improving the synergy and integration of sectors to enhance delivery of outstanding results for the communities.
· Ensure that vulnerable community members are actively participating in all Project and MEAL activities.
· Participate in all other aspects of MEAL, for example surveys, baselines, evaluations, joint projects monitoring and reviews / lessons learning workshops/events.
· Together with CRM focal person assigned, undertake accountability activities, including the development and use of information sharing materials and the establishment of complaint response mechanisms.
· Serves as focal person for the mainstreaming and making sure that cross cutting issues are implemented and reflected in reporting such as gender, Governance and safeguarding policies/ procedures in the project activities.
· Promote learning in the project, particularly on issues of program quality. Regularly analyze data and produce reports and case studies; ensure new analysis and information is available
Protection, Safeguarding & Inclusion Functions:
· Support and ensure protection, safeguarding and inclusion is mainstreamed in all Afar project activities implementation.
· Implement protection, safeguarding , inclusion and accountability activities planned in the project
· Identify training needs and build the capacity of IRE Afar project staff on protection, safeguarding, inclusion and CHS accountability components.
· Ensure that activities and programmes are designed and adapted to consider groups vulnerable because of their age and gender.
· Strengthen safeguarding: prevent risks of abuse and harm directly or indirectly created by IRE’s presence and coordinate the response to safeguarding cases.
· Ensure collection of lesson learned from ongoing project (in coordination with the MEAL Team) and promote learning from relevant best practices internally and externally.
· Provide continuous support on protection, safeguarding and inclusion activities, follow up and technical guidance during implementation phase, document progress /changes through regular monitoring visits.
· In accordance with IRE’s policies support orientation on complaints and feedback mechanism (accountability to affected populations), safeguarding, protection and inclusion ensure their implementation across all protection activities in all IR implementation locations
· Participate, influence external platforms on protection, safeguarding, inclusivity and network with them to find areas of collaboration, best practice, innovation, knowledge sharing and partnerships.
· With the support of Protection and inclusion officer, advocate for safeguarding, child protection, PSEA and GBV issues in Afar field office and through coordination mechanisms.
· Prepare and submit regular relevant sections of reports required for field office, country office, donors, management, on weekly/monthly, annual basis.
· Support project senior officer on donor reports through review of performance/progress assessments against pre-defined project objectives, outputs, activities and indicators. And ensure data collection mechanisms are in place and disaggregated by SADDD.
· Demonstrate ethical and professional practice including respect of participant confidentiality and point of view, IRE’s Safeguarding Policies (Child Protection, PSEA, Code of conduct and other policies).
· Perform any other related activities given by his/her immediate supervisor
Qualifications and Experience required
• University degree in one of the relevant areas- International Law, Human Rights, Economics or other related Social Science
• Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience or Master’s degree with 2 years of relevant professional work experience in monitoring and evaluation, Protection, Safeguarding and Inclusion in NGO setting
• Training/experience in emergency response management highly desirable and one-year’ experience in issues related with inclusivity, protection and/or child protection, Gender, GBV and Monitoring and evaluation. Working in emergency or conflict situations in developing countries is an asset.
• Nationality: Candidates should be NATIONALS of Ethiopia.
Required Personal Skills/Competencies
- Proven skills in project planning, design, implementation, M&E;
- Demonstrated ability in proposal and report writing skills;
- Proven management and people coaching, mentoring and supervisory skills;
- Proven communication, diversity and inclusion, Integrity and working with people skills;
- Knowledge of the government current systems and policy environment specifically at Woreda level;
- Excellent oral and written communications in English language is mandatory and Afar language is preferable.
- Demonstrated skills working in window computer programs.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged.
• Demonstrate enhanced knowledge of inclusive programming approach to child protection, Gender and GBV issues.
• Good understanding of GBV and guidelines in preventing in humanitarian action.
• Good understanding of CHS Commitments, SPHERE, minimum standards of age and disability inclusion
• Good understanding of minimum standards on Protection, Gender, GBV, child protection mainstreaming in programming.
• Good understanding of project monitoring and evaluation.
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age , sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through [email protected] .
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx . Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is September 13, 2021.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.