The overall purpose of this role is to strengthen the Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (MER) as well as Accountability system of the LEGO Play Matters Project in support of programme development, learning and accountability (PALS) and quality improvements in Gambella, Afar and Benishnaguel Gumuz. He/she is expected to ensure that program quality is reflected within the entire project cycle and that all field program implementation (in Gameblla, Benishnaguel Gumuz and Afar) is undertaken efficiently and effectively by reflecting that all M&E requirements are in place and that cross-cutting issues of inclusion and DRR are properly incorporated.
Dimenssions of the Role
· The post holder will report to the MEL Lead as well as to the LEGO Project Lead and will be responsible for the Lego PlayMatters project Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
· The job holder is responsible for initiating, development and delivery of a Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Framework as part of the Lego Play Matters project.
· S/he provides managerial and technical leadership in the development of the Lego Play Matters project Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (MER) Plan.
· S/he will be responsible for providing technical leadership and support in program/project design, planning, information gathering and synthesis, reflection and reporting processes.
· The position will be based at the Country Office.
Monitoring and Evaluation
· Ensure Lego Play Matters project planning, monitoring and evaluation processes meet the Donor standards and comply with Donor accountability requirement.
· Co-managing databases and ensuring adherence to ethics and the standards established across the consortium and by relevant national policies,
· Provide quality guidance to Gambella, Afar and Benishnaguel Gumuz programs in implementing PALS in their planning, monitoring and evaluation processes of the Lego Play Matters project.
· Facilitate the monitoring, evaluation and research network in the country to promote good practice and identify ways to strengthen Lego Play Matters project’s planning, monitoring and evaluation processes.
· Contribute for the iteration of the MEL framework of PlayMatters project in the coming years.
· Ensure that M&E data from Gambella, Afar and Benishanguel Gumuz for both external and internal audiences as required are collected, analysed and availed for decisions
· Facilitate or carry out field level data collection for testing, research, and ongoing monitoring - going beyond tracking of MEAL indicators.
· Supporting learning and data use at various levels and groups, i.e. the field-based program teams, country-level Project Management Committees (PMCs), Content Development Committees (CDCs) and the Regional Project Team/Technical Working Group (TWG).
· Lead evaluation events such as baseline, midline and end line assessments by or contributing to draft terms of references, review and comment quantitative and qualitative data collection tools, facilitate/participate in data collection, data analysis and presentation of final reports also facilitate validations and reflections on key learning.
· In collaboration with the regional accountability adviser and filed level accountability coordinators roll out the accountability framework of PMs project.
· Responsible for accountability database and the overall system at plan country level.
· Managing accountability data and ensuring that community feedback cases are managed in line with PlayMatters’ accountability frameworks and PIE’s Safeguarding policy in cases where this applies,
· Facilitate regular monthly, quarterly and annually (joint) review and reflection sessions to discuss on project progress, lessons, best practice, challenges and way forwards as a key accountability mechanism
Staff Management and Development:
· Supervise and coordinate the work of external consultant(s) during project evaluations, and other M&E activities where consultants are required under the PlayMatters project
· Build the technical capacity of the PlayMatters project and other staff and also ensure optimum community involvement in the conceptualization, development, management, monitoring and evaluation of the interventions.
· Organise regular performance review meetings to assess progress but also to agree on and communicate any changes in strategy with the key project stakeholders
· Manage M&E work plans and ensures relevant log-frame milestones and annual expenditure is achieved.
Education, qualification, knowledge and experience.
· Master’s degree in related field of study with 5+ years of work experience in an NGO setting
· Excellent English both written and verbal
Relevant Experience: The successful candidate will have experience of:
· Establishing and implementing monitoring, evaluation, verification and learning frameworks, systems and tools within complex multi-country, multi-year development programmes, preferably focused education and/or girls’ empowerment programmes
· Developing and participating in monitoring processes, gained at least in part in a developing country setting
· Exceptional quantitative and qualitative data processing and analysis skills, including adapting/developing monitoring tools and surveys.
· Collating and analysing comprehensive monitoring and evaluation data from multiple sources to prepare succinct reports and creative materials tailored for the needs of diverse audiences.
· Providing technical leadership and capacity-building support for staff with regards to monitoring, evaluation and learning processes and tools.
· Using participatory monitoring and evaluation methodologies, ideally with children and young people
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is April 12, 2022. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the below link.
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
· Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
· Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
· Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.