August 21, 2019
Post Title: Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and learning (MEAL) Officer
Duty Station: Somali Regional State, Hargelle
Reports to: Project Manager
Salary: As per the organization scale
Required: One individual
Duration: 12 months (renewable based on performance review)
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started its operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa and Gulina, Oromia Regional State; Chiro and Meayso and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us .
Islamic Relief Ethiopia has received funding from DfID for a resilience building project to be implemented in Somali region. The project aim is to protect livestock and reduce mortality to strengthen the resilience of 3,000 pastoralist HH (19,800 individuals) to withstand drought shock through five pillars: livestock insurance, disease prevention, DRR technology, and water infrastructure and fodder production. The project will be implemented in Hargelle woreda targeting Cid-dhere, Dawacale, Dirinder, Hayir and Sogsog kebeles.
To successfully deliver on the target component of the project, IRE will require an MEAL Officer. The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer is responsible for establishing and implementing an appropriate monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems at the program area, based on evidence of good practices and in line with Donor requirements to help ensure the successful delivery and attainment of project goals and objectives. S/he ensures that strong MEAL system is in place so that the implementation of the project is of high quality and accountable to beneficiaries, partners and donors.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Together with the Project Officers and community change agents develop sector specific M&E data management tools and provide training on the tools for project staff and woreda experts.
- Collect good quality monitoring data in a timely manner and organize data received for reporting to the Project Manager/Senior project officer at field level and MEAL Manager at Country Office level.
- Produce monitoring checklists and conduct quarterly joint field process monitoring, quality assessment and data validation, and provide feedbacks and recommendations for timely improvement.
- Develop capacity of local communities, partners and staff on the program M&E framework, data management, and data analysis and results‐oriented programming, monitoring and evaluation methods and principles and reporting systems.
- Lead on monitoring and improving the synergy and integration of sectors to enhance delivery of outstanding results for the communities.
- Ensure that children, women and other vulnerable community members are actively participating in all Project and MEAL activities.
- Make sure the utilization of appropriate reporting templates that facilitate the acquisition and aggregation of data in sectors or develop and maintain effective database.
- Participate in all other aspects of MEAL, for example surveys, baselines, evaluations, joint projects monitoring and reviews / lessons learning workshops/events.
- Together with the Project and Governance Officers, undertake accountability activities, including the development and use of information sharing materials and the establishment of complaint response mechanisms. This may include management of Accountability issues, ensuring that complaints are logged and addressed in a professional and timely manner and that serious complaints relating to abuse, exploitation and corruption and referred appropriately.
- Serves as focal person for the mainstreaming and making sure that cross cutting issues are implemented and reflected in reporting such as gender, Governance and safeguarding policies/ procedures in the project activities.
- Promote learning in the project, particularly on issues of program quality. Regularly analyze data and produce reports and case studies; ensure new analysis and information is available
- Attend relevant woreda & community meetings as required and provide feedbacks if relevant.
- BA in social science fields preferably in Economics, Educational planning or BSc in Mathematics or Statistics.
- At least five years of relevant experience and required to have at least two years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation of programs in NGO setting.
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skill.
- Excellent oral and written communications in English .
- Computer skills, especially Basic Microsoft Offices & SPSS is necessary
How to Apply
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et .
· You can access the application form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx . Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is August 28, 2019.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.