BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in countries around the world. To achieve this, BBC Media Action partners with civil society, local media and governments to:
- Produce creative programming in multi-media formats, based on robust research, which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
- Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action has delivered a wide portfolio of media projects in Ethiopia. It seeks to expand this portfolio of work, but also ensure that existing projects are delivered to time, to budget and to the highest standards, and in accordance with BBC editorial values as well as BBC Media Action methodologies.
BBC Media Action is part of an international consortium led by the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) to deliver a £21 million programme which aims to protect would-be migrants and refugeesfrom unsafe irregular migration through and from the Amhara and Tigray regions of Ethiopia. The four-year programme, funded by theDepartment for International Development, UK (DFID, UK) will address the barriers to reducing unsafe irregular migration from Ethiopia and ultimatelyreducing unsafe irregular migration through and from Ethiopia, taking into consideration the most vulnerable groups — women, girls and unaccompaniedirregular migrants. The programme will coordinate and engage in high level national and regional advocacy with key stakeholders. The programme isanticipated to be innovative, cross-sectoral and solutions-oriented with strong emphasis on research, learning and adaptive management.
The project will be overseen by a central Project Management Unit (PMU) which will consist of representatives from consortium partner organisations. The role of Project Manager will be split between the PMU and BBC Media Action’s offices in Addis Ababa.
- Represent BBC Media Action as part of the PMU, coordinating with project partners to ensure that the delivery of BBC Media Action’s activities is as effective as possible in meeting project outcomes
- Act as a point of contact between BBC Media Action and the PMU, ensuring the effective two-way flow of information and communication between the parties.
- Responsible for the planning and reporting of BBC Media Action’s activities, ensuring that coordination across project partners facilitates the effective and efficient realisation of BBC Media Action’s project objectives and milestones throughout the inception phase.
- Coordinate with the PMU and BBC Media Action’s research and learning teams in both Addis Ababa and London to ensure that research is shared between partners and used to inform the design and delivery of activities, and that activities are reassessed according to learnings as appropriate.
- Track all project expenditure against internal and external budgets, ensuring that costs are allocated correctly within agreed parameters and that any potential deviations are raised in advance. Contribute to the design of an operational budget for the implementation phase of the project.
- Coordinate with support teams in the country office to build systems which effectively support project operations. Ensure that all procurement is in line with donor and BBC Media Action policy.
- Complying at all times with BBC Media Action’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policy and ensuring that all direct reports, freelancers and external suppliers are aware of their responsibilities under these policies. Reporting any related concerns as soon as they become apparent, including those in relation to the actions of consortium partners.
- Ensuring that all recruitment is conducted according to BBC Media Action policies with a strong focus on safeguarding considerations across the entire recruitment cycle, including an assessment of the safeguarding risks associated with the role which are reflected in the assessment and interview process as appropriate, rigorous checks of professional references and enquires made with relevant authorities.
- Any other tasks which may arise through delivery of the role.
DURATION: One year, with possibility of extension
CONTRACT: Local terms and conditions. Only eligible for Ethiopian nationals or those legally able to work in Ethiopia
Required skills, knowledge and experience
- At least seven years’ experience in international development, with demonstrable experience in project planning and management systems.
- Experience managing the project budget cycle – from conception, through budget building, to implementation, monitoring, reviewing and reporting/accounting.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to build relationships with PMU members, maintaining collaborative working practices between the PMU and all relevant staff at BBC Media Action.
- Experience in humanitarian focused initiatives is an advantage.
- Ability to make sound judgments on potentially sensitive programmatic issues.
- Experience of working with vulnerable groups including young people, displaced populations and refugees.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong commitment to – and understanding of – development issues in Ethiopia, with specific reference to migration within and across the countries’ borders. Knowledge and experience of Social and Behavior Change Communication and media for development as strong advantage.
- Experience writing project briefs, reports, Terms of Reference and other project documents.
- Fluency in English and Amharic. Fluency in Tigray and Somali a definite advantage.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
Decision Making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
Planning and Organization – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
How to Apply
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should ONLY send cover letter and CV with three names of reference to [email protected] until February 13, 2020. Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted. Applicants should state in subject line the name of position they are going to apply This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities and duties.
The BBC is an equal opportunity employer.