Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS) is a publicly-funded, non-for profit German political foundation registered in Ethiopia as a “foreign organization” in accordance with the Civil Society Organizations Proclamation No 1113/2019. With offices in more than 100 countries, KAS promotes democracy, the Rule of Law, Social Market Economy and human rights and fosters political exchanges. For its new Country Office in Ethiopia, KAS is looking for a Project Manager (Ethiopia) under the current funding period by the Federal German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) until 31 December 2022. This position is a definite work contract of 16 months, ideally starting on 01 September 2021.
The Project Manager (African Union) is responsible for designing, planning, implementing and evaluating the activities of the KAS Country Office Ethiopia in relation to its work with the African Union. This relates to activities, among others, in the field of democracy, the Rule of Law, migration, Social Market Economy and human rights.
We strongly encourage women to apply for the position.
The Project Manager (African Union) works under the supervision of the Country Representative:
· Design, plan, implement and evaluate the activities of the KAS Country Office Ethiopia in relation to its work with the African Union in accordance with KAS objectives
· Plan and prepare workshops, trainings and conferences with the AU and other relevant stakeholders
· Financially plan and monitor annual activities and budget plans together with the Project Accountant
· Ensure external and internal visibility of project activities in cooperation with the Project Assistant
· Coordinate, manage and supervise the work of the Project Accountant and Project Assistant in relation to activities of the KAS Country Office Ethiopia in relation to its work with the AU
· Ensure an adequate communication between KAS Country Office, project partners and stakeholders
· Plan, prepare and supervise research studies of the Country Office Ethiopia in relation to its work with the AU
· Draft Terms of Reference and contracts for short-term experts. Engage, brief and monitor short-term experts
· Timely completion and submission of all activity reports
· Maintain close relations to stakeholders of the AU, other relevant stakeholders, and the media
· Upload all necessary documents in the KAS FAVORIT system
Qualifications, experiences and competencies:
Candidates should have the following educational background, work experience and skills.
· At least Master’s degree in Political Science, Social Science, Finance, Communications or a related field
· At least five (5) years of relevant professional work experience in Project Managing in the field of development cooperation and conference management
· At least five (5) years of relevant professional work experience with the African Union
· Ability to work in an international environment
· Able to work independently and highly meticulous
· Excellent knowledge of AU policies, its organization, structures, reform processes and its history
· Excellent knowledge of the wider political, economic and historic context of the African continent (thorough expertise and familiarity with several African countries are an advantage)
· Proven tight network to stakeholders of the AU, RECs, African national governments, other relevant international stakeholders, and local and international media
· Well-developed team player skills
· Excellent ability in planning and keeping schedules
· Thorough ability and large experience to implement workshops, conferences, etc. in a timely and a well-organized manner, including follow-up and evaluation
· Proven track record of conducting academic research studies
· Good external communication skills and ability to increase visibility
· Ability to maintain attention to detail and to work under the pressure of rigid deadlines and conflicting priorities;
· Ability to communicate information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing;
· Ability to participate as a contributing member of an international and customer-oriented team;
· Excellent research and writing skills
· Strong computer literacy, including Microsoft office, in particular Excel;
· Willingness and openness to be trained and use the in-house accountancy and document management system of Konrad Adenauer Foundation.
· Excellent writing and speaking skills both in English and French (C1) are mandatory for this role
· Fluency in Amharic
How to Apply
· Letter of motivation
· Copies of most important education certificates
· Three (3) references of former employers
IMPORTANT: We only accept applications sent to us by e-mail. Your application must be sent in one single e-mail and with one single pdf document that does not exceed 5MB. We do not accept applications sent in several e-mails or e-mails with multiple attachments, or applications sent by physical mail. Please send your application in English by e-mail no later than July 23, 2021 to the following address: [email protected] Mention “Project Manager AU” in the subject line. We only notify candidates who get invited to an interview.