The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Radio Operator (1 year fixed term contract) , based in Shire.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY :
The incumbent will be responsible for operating the ICRC telecommunication equipment to monitor the movement of the ICRC vehicles – to and from the field trip. She/he facilitates telecommunication contacts between the ICRC sites, and people though radio, telephone and other monitoring tools.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain (HF) continuous communication with ICRC mobile stations and personnel in the field. Gather information on team’s location, status, and pass security information.
- Assist other mobile stations in relaying of information in case of propagation problems.
- Ensure Radio communication procedures and good practice are known and applied at all times.
- Maintain VHF radio contacts with mobiles stations and ICRC personnel within range for regular communication pertaining to their operations.
- Contribute to adequate training of ICRC users on the use and procedures of telecommunication equipment.
- Broadcasting of information concerning Security Alert locally, using relevant means, i.e. VHF, SMS, or mobile phones.
- Faxing and scanning of documents as requested by departments within the Delegation.
- Continuously monitor the status of field teams and react promptly in case of problem.
- In case of emergency, promptly relay relevant information to ICRC staff under the supervision of the Field Security and Crisis Management Coordinator, and using the appropriate medium (VHF, SMS, Mobile phone etc.)
- Assist individual users in case of issues by providing relevant contacts or relaying messages to interlocutors
- Monitor serviceability of telecommunications equipment using the available monitoring tools.
- Take necessary actions or escalate incidents to the relevant departments to address issues.
- Conduct periodic equipment and procedure inspections and routine tests in order to ensure that operations standards are met.
Switchboard and Logging
- Attend to telephone calls during night shifts, public holidays, and other absences of Switchboard operators.
- Report landline malfunctions to the ICT Service desk
- Maintain comprehensive station logs of messages transmitted and received for operations.
Educational Background & Work Experience :
- High School graduate or above.
- Certificate in Radio Telephony and communication from a reputable organization.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a similar job.
- Good command of English, Amharic and Tigrigna
- Available for weekend duty and in case of need to conduct tasks not listed in the job description.
- Good Computer proficiency
How to Apply
Electronic application can be made ONLY through the ethiojobs.net website. Alternatively, you can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents at reception of Shire based “Afrika” Hotel OR to the ICRC Sub Delegation in Mekele OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date: April 09, 2021
Women applicants and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process.