The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. For more information, visit website: http://www.icrc.org/. The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of:
The incumbent will be responsible for operating the ICRC telecommunication equipment to monitor the movements of ICRC teams in the field. She/he facilitates the transmission of information between ICRC sites, and staff members though radio, telephone and other means of telecommunication.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Maintain HF continuous communication with ICRC mobile stations and personnel in the field for locations, status, and security reports;
Assist other mobile stations in relaying information in case of propagation problems;
Ensure Radio communication procedures and best practice are known and applied at all times.
Contribute to adequate training of ICRC users in the use and procedures of telecommunications.
- Continuously monitor the status of field teams and react promptly in case of problem;
- In case of emergency, promptly relay relevant information to ICRC staff under the supervision of the Field Security Coordinator, and using the appropriate medium (VHF, SMS, Mobile etc.)
- Assist individual users in case of issues by providing relevant contacts or relaying to the adequate interlocutor
- Monitor serviceability of telecommunications equipment using the available monitoring tools;
- Take necessary actions or escalate incidents to the relevant departments to address issues;
- Conduct periodic equipment and procedure inspections and routine tests in order to ensure that operations standards are met;
Switchboard and Logging
- Attend to telephone calls during night shifts, public holidays, and other absences of Switchboard operators.
- Report landline malfunctions to the IT Service desk
- Maintain comprehensive station logs of messages transmitted and received for operations.
Educational Background & Work Experience :
- Must have academic "O" level Certificate.
- Certificate in Radio Telephony and communication from a reputable organization.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a similar job.
- Good command of English.
- Available for weekend duty and in case of need to conduct tasks not listed in the job description.
- Computer proficiency
How to Apply
Electronic application can be made ONLY through the ethiojobs.net website. Alternatively, you can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Delegation in Addis Ababa (in front of EIAR, around Egziabher Ab Church, Megenagna) OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date for application: February 17,2020
Women and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.