Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
In Ethiopia, Plan has more than 25 years of experience in implementing its programme. Currently PIE mainly operates in seven geographical areas; Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz, Afar, and Addis Ababa City Administration on different projects funded by different donors including sponsorship.
Plan International Ethiopia's main purpose is to seek Gender Justice for Girls, Adolescent Girls, and Young Women. We aim to help create an enabling environment where girls, adolescent girls, and young women are safe, valued, equally cared for, and have equal opportunities. PIE will contribute to the global strategy by aiming to reach directly 2.1 million Girls, Adolescent Girls and Young Women over the period of the strategy 2020-2024 and to reach an additional 6.3 million beneficiaries through its interventions.
Ethiopia is the second largest refugee hosting country in Africa and one of the country that has large number of internal and external migration movement. As a result, Plan International Ethiopia has large size of refugee and migration program. Given the country geographical position locating in the middle of the fragile countries and keep receiving the refugees mainly from South Sudan, Somalia and Eritrea and but also the hundred thousands of Ethiopian returnees from the United Arab Emirate. Considering the complex and protracted landscape of displacement and refugee in the horn of Africa & in particular Ethiopia, the government refugee policy and global solidarity movement on refugees – Global compact on refugee – Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework and endorsement Ethiopian government and its pelages to ensure the integration of refugees in the national development agenda; the Head of Refugee and Migration will be responsible to lead the overall refugee and migration response in light of the global and national policy framework. The position holder will be responsible to lead the overall refugee and migration response in light of the global and national policy framework by ensuring the strong representation of PIE in the refugee taskforce and sectoral working group; maintaining the strong relation with UNHCR, UNICEF and Agency of Refugee &Returnees Affair. And ensure visible participation in any joint assessment; supporting the humanitarian director and head of business development in resource mobilization and oversee the implementation of the programme in accordance with the global humanitarian standard.
The post holder will directly manage the thematic leads for refugee & migration and have functional relation with the program area managers, filed based emergency staffs and support function – HR, logistics & finance.
Accountability and MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
- Overall Leadership and Strategic Engagement
- Assessment, design response strategies and Planning
- Programme design and Resource Management
- Representation, Networking and communication
- Human resources, Team Development and Synergy with other units or departments
- Financial Responsibility
- Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Master degree in Disaster Risk Management, humanitarian Studies, development studies, development economics, agricultural economics, sociology, human rights, political science, international development,
- At least 7-10 years of progressive experience in similar organizations at senior management level with responsibilities including line management of senior staff. Most preferably experience in managing refugee and migration response.
- At least 7 years of progressive experience in humanitarian and development sector preferable in the similar organizations working in a very protracted and complex humanitarian setup and preferable have experience on leading refugee and migration responses.
- Proven experience in managing big teams and understand the functional relationship with other partners.
- Proven experiences and ability to coordinate and collaborate with different organizations including the government and demonstrable working experience in development programme
- English and other national languages
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is March 05, 2021. Qualified candidates should submit their application through ethiojobs. This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
- Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk. Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.