The Registration Assistant is a member of the Registration team and is supervised by a more senior member of the team who normally reports directly to the Registration Officer. The Registration Assistant is responsible for supporting all activities related to registration, which may also include functions related to reception, filing and data management. The Registration Assistant responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements. The Registration Assistant liaises with protection staff and partners to ensure timely identification and referral of persons of concern for protection follow up. The Registration Assistant may provide interpretation and/or translation services in cases for which s/he has the required language competencies.
- UNHCR’s Registration Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies.
- Persons of concern have fair and transparent access to registration procedures.
- Conduct registration interviews in accordance with local SOPs and registration standards.
- Respond to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements.
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all individual registration cases.
- Identify persons with specific needs and ensure timely referral to protection follow-up as required.
- Collaborate with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of assistance and programming, including provision of identity and entitlement documentation
- Act as interpreter and translator when needed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Refer cases to other units within the office and to implementing partners as necessary.
Type of Contract
- Temporary Appointment
Number of Positions
- 2 (Two)
Duration of Contract
- 8 Months
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of secondary education preferably with post-secondary training or certificate in social science, statistics, mathematics, information technology or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant job experience (3 years with post-secondary certificate/training).
- Good computer skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and local language.
- Practical field experience in remote and isolated regions of Ethiopia an added value.
- Flexibility and adaptability to a rapidly changing operational environment.
- Excellent inter-personal and networking skills required
Desirable qualification and competencies.
- Training in basic principles of international protection.
- Experience in working with UNHCR proGres software.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language.
Cross Functional Competencies
- Analytical Thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing
How to Apply
This vacancy is open for qualified Ethiopians and Non-Ethiopians with a valid work permit from Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs .
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Applicants who wish to be considered for this position should send a motivation letter the P11 Form and or the most recent fact sheet through the online application system using the link below:
Candidates will be required to sit for a test.
Due to the volume of applications only short-listed candidates will be invited for interview.
Former UNHCR General Service staff members, having held an Indefinite or FTA appointment for an uninterrupted period of at least one year may apply for internally advertised vacancies at their previous grade or equivalent or one grade above, if the seniority requirements are met, for a period of two years following separation.
Refugees – who cares? We Do.