|Company||:||General Job Post Account-16|
|Company Name/ Contact Person||:||Ethiopian Chamber of Commerce & Sectors Associations (ECCSA)|
|Job Title||:||Secretary General|
|Date Posted/Updated||:||Monday, September 2, 2019|
|Application Deadline||:||Friday, September 13, 2019|
|Job Type||:||Full Time|
Ethiopian Chamber of Commerce & Sectors Associations (ECCSA)
Internal/External Vacancy Announcement
Position: Secretary General
– Reports To: Board of Directors
– Salary & Benefits: Birr 31,744 and Benefits Package
The ECCSA has been granted with the following powers and duties by the proclamation:-
• To encourage the establishment of Chambers at different levels and provide necessary supports after being established;
• To find local and foreign markets for products and services;
• To participate with the concerned organs, in identifying export prod-ucts, improving their quality and quantity and in finding solution to problems pertaining to trade activities;
• To establish relations with foreign chambers in order to exchange in-formation and share experiences;
• To organize or participate in local or foreign trade exhibitions upon obtaining license from concerned organ;
• To settle disputes arising out of business transactions between mem- bers, by way of arbitration, when the parties so request;
• To issue product certificate of country of origin upon delegation by the Government;
• To prepare commercial gazettes, bulletins, reports, compile statistical information and provide different trainings;
• To make members aware of business related government policies, proclamations, regulations and directives; and participate at discus- sion forum prepared by the Government;
• To determine the contribution to be made by members;
• To charge fees for the services it provides;
• To own property, enter into contract, sue and be sued in its own name;
• To perform such other duties deemed necessary for the attainment of its purposes.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Secretary General:-
The following roles and responsibilities are granted to the Secretary General by the Proclamation.
• Plans, executes, directs and controls the overall activities of the Chamber.
• Exercises the powers and discharges the duties of the Chamber in accordance with the directives given to him/her by the Board.
• Devises strategy and polices required to carry out the responsibilities of the Chamber.
• Organizes the office of the Chamber, employs, administers, and dis- misses personnel and fixes their salaries and allowances, in accordance with directives given by the Board.
• Establishes amicable relations between the government and the business community for the creation of more conductive economic environment and advancement of trade and investment.
• Initiates business and investment development strategies, promote trade and Investment, reflect the interest of the private sector and advocates for their recognition by the government.
• Ascertains that various activities of ECCSA are executed properly in accordance with the prevailing establishment act and internal regulations.
• Establishes amicable relations and strong network with development partners and other stakeholder organizations to mobilize support for the development of private sector in the country.
• Strengthen the internal capability of the Chamber to diversify sources of income towards self-sufficiency of ECCSA in a sustainable manner.
• Hosts representatives of foreign business delegations and addresses the delegates representing the Chamber.
• Leads the Ethiopian Business Delegation to foreign visits when delegation leader is not assigned by the Board of Directors.
• Represents ECCSA at bilateral and multilateral negotiations and meetings & at the various Public Private Dialogue Forums and reflects the interest of the private sector on issues under discussions.
• Allocates and manages resources of ECCSA in an efficient manner.
• Establishes indicators and standards to evaluate the services pro- vided by ECCSA
• Recruits management staffs and hires upon endorsement by the Board of Directors and Approves the recruitment, transfer and dis- missal of non-managerial staff.
• Prepares in consolation with the President, agenda for the Board of Directors
• Presents the quarterly as well as extraordinary operational reports of the Chamber to the Board of Directors.
• Examines and decides on applications for membership in accordance with directives given by the Board.
• Ensures that the revenue of the Chamber is collected.
• Assists and coordinates activities of different committees estab- lished by the Board.
• Prepares and submits to the Board, annual budget and work pro- gram of the Chamber; and implement same upon approval.
• Prepares and submits to the Board reports on the financial stand- ing and performance of the Chamber.
• Evaluates the performance of subordinates.
• Endorse the annual operation plan and long-term plans of the Chamber.
• Responsible for the overall day-to-day leadership and management of the Chamber.
• Ensures the formulation of short–term, medium-term and long- term plans of the Chamber and submits the same to the Board of Directors for approval.
• Administer the bank accounts of the Chamber in line with rule and regulation set by the Board of Directors.
• Executes resolutions and decisions made by the Board of Directors.
• Delegate authority to his subordinates as necessary.
• Ensures that support departments, programs and all working units of ECCSA are performing in accordance to the authorities delegated to them.
• Ensures that the Chamber has the right management systems and structures to carry out its work effectively, accountably and safely.
• Ensures that the management team and staff are focused on achieving the mission and strategic priorities.
• Participates with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the Chamber.
• Identifies, assesses, and informs the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the Chamber.
• Acts as a professional advisor to the Board of Director on all as- pects of the Chamber’s activities.
• Conducts official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appro- priate and jointly with the Board when appropriate.
• Represents the Chamber at community activities to enhance the Chamber’s community profile.
• Ensures that the operation of the organization meets the expecta- tions of its members, Board and stakeholders.
• Drafts policies for the approval of the Board and prepares proce- dures to implement the organizational policies; reviews existing policies on periodic basis and recommends changes to the Board as appropriate.
• Provides support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials.
• Manage the planning, execution and evaluation of the Chamber’s programs, special projects and services.
• Determines staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery.
• Ensure the coordination of information flow, capacity building, re- search and advocacy, investment and trade promotion activities of the chamber;
• Establishes a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
• Approves expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
• Ensures that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
• Identifies and evaluates the risks to the organization’s people, property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks.
• Reports progress and feedback to the Board of Directors on the organization’s performance.
• Perform other duties as assigned by ECCSA board of directors
How to Apply:
Qualified and eligible individuals interested in applying for this exciting and challenging position may submit a document (Not more than five pages) explaining
1. How to meet the objectives of the ECCSA,
2. How to fulfill the powers and duties of the ECCSA and
3. How to accomplish the roles and responsibilities granted to the Secretary General,
Curriculum Vitae (CV), Letter of application, Credentials.
Deadline for application: 13 September 2019. 17:30 -Please submit the above documents in person in a closed envelop to the President Secretary, the ECCSA Building, first Floor Office No 2 Mexico Square. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and written exam.
• MSc/MA or above in business and leadership related fields.
• Demonstrated high quality leadership skills.
• 10 Years Experience and Over five year leadership experience.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
|Min. Monthly Salary||:||ETB 31744.00|
|Max. Monthly Salary||:||ETB 31744.00|