Camara Education Ltd is an international education organization. Our mission is to transform education using technology to impact learning.
Founded in 2005 in Dublin, Ireland, Camara has built a proven model of ‘education delivery’ that is both sustainable and highly scalable. Camara is a registered charity in the US, Ireland and the UK. It currently operates five Education Hubs in Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Zambia, Lesotho, and Tanzania), and one in Ireland, alongside a Resource Hub in London. All Hubs operate as social enterprises and operate to serve local market needs through a sustainable business model.
In the last 13+ years, Camara has enabled more than 3 million children to achieve better educational outcomes and to improve their life opportunities. We have raised and generated €24m, trained 47,000+ teachers across 8,900+ educational institutes and installed 106,500 computers.
Purpose of this role: The Senior Development Manager will develop and execute a strategy and operational plan for Camara Education’s international fundraising in Sub-Saharan Africa, including Ethiopia.
Camara Education is looking for a Senior Development Manager to lead our fundraising efforts in Africa, including Ethiopia. This role is based in the Camara Education hub in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, reporting to the Head of Partnerships in Dublin and will work with a high level of autonomy in the Sub-Saharan and wider African market. The successful candidate will work closely with the Country Manager of Camara Education in Ethiopia and the Head of the Project Management Office.
The successful candidate will grow new revenues from large scale international development funders, partners, and consortia. To fulfill this role the incumbent will acquire an in-depth and intimate knowledge of Camara Education’s programs across Sub-Saharan Africa. They will work cooperatively with Camara Education staff across the organization. The role will lead efforts to build Camara’s pipeline of large scale ICT in Education projects and will manage the pipeline and workflow. The incumbent will lead the development of proposals and reports for funders and partners and draft other fundraising-related correspondence and communication.
Reporting to the Head of Partnerships in Dublin, this role will develop and execute a strategy and operational plan for Camara Education’s international fundraising in Sub-Saharan Africa, including Ethiopia.
This role is responsible for building a network within large international organizations based in Ethiopia and across Africa. The incumbent is required to represent Camara Education at organizational and external events as appropriate. This can include donor and prospect meetings, cultivation events, dinners and galas, professional industry gatherings, and speaking engagements. This role will involve travel mainly within Africa, with some travel to Europe.
- Identifying and winning large project opportunities funded directly by large institutional funders / international organizations
- Promoting and securing Camara Education as a project partner in existing or future project consortia
- Working cross-functionally with internal Camara Education teams
- Developing a coherent stewardship program for Africa-based partners and funders
- Conducting and overseeing research to identify new funders and ways to upgrade existing funders
- Working with the Head of Partnerships and other leaders to implement upgrade strategies
- Working with the relevant members of the Camara Education Board of Directors to maximize their contribution to organizational fundraising
- Liaising with program colleagues to ensure that project funder reports are accurate and support short and long term fundraising potential
Position Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a similar role
- Proven experience of building successful project partnerships and funding relationships resulting in high-value projects
- Demonstrable track record of achieving targets in excess of $1 million annually
- Track record of producing high-quality work under pressure and to deadline and budget
- Working knowledge and understanding of education/development in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Comprehensive knowledge of business development best practices
- Comprehensive knowledge of charitable organization tools and best practices
- Demonstrated understanding of leadership and people management concepts required
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills
- Fluent English essential
- Experience of effective communication at senior levels providing a compelling case for support
- Accomplished interpersonal and networking skills
- Personal resilience, ability to operate autonomously with minimum day to day support
- A belief in Camara Education’s mission and vision
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly
- Able to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Able to exhibit diplomacy and tact at all times
How to ApplyTo apply: Please submit a CV and Cover Letter and fill the application form here . Closing date for receipt of applications is 23rd June 2019 with early applications welcome.