The Senior Operations Manager is responsible in providing overall leadership, support and oversight of all field operations in Samaritan’s Purse Ethiopia to ensure effective and efficient implementation of programs. Areas of responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) overseeing procurement, storage, inventory, fleet management, communication, facilities improvement, assigned programming activities and the associated budgets with each of these areas and ensure collaborating directly with senior leadership on the development of strategies to enhance the value and cost-effectiveness of all outcomes within the functional area of operations.
- Responsible to develop, train and ensure compliance to the SP Procurement policy and FOG Manual.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as operational and procedure manuals, Performa’s, Invoices, Purchase agreements, detailed Product descriptions, Quote analysis and other reports.
- Support and encourage supervised managers in their operational activities.
- Experience with and a working knowledge of Excel or other related data base systems and the ability to enter critical information accurately
- Acts as the main focal point for Communication Technology (IT), Procurement, and Logistics.
- Supports continuous up-to date effective and accurate flow of information between field sites, the country office, Deputy Country Director and Country Director.
- Develops and implements operational systems, processes and policies in support of the organization’s mission, such as report management and information flow.
- Serves as a member of the Country Leadership Team, and provides support to the Country Office on issues related to Operations.
- Maintain and oversees national and international procurement systems to ensure efficient and accurate delivery of program resources.
- Enforces and upholds donor and Samaritan’s Purse regulations for procurement, as well as best practices for other operations that may include Fleet and Warehouse operations.
- Enforces Samaritan’s Purse procedures regarding contracted service, while providing frequent evaluation of current contracted services for cost effectiveness.
- Maintains awareness of local and national laws and ensures organizational adherence in partnership with the Deputy Country Director and Country Director.
- Establishes and maintains a harmonious working environment by introducing capacity-building trainings, and encouraging active participation at all levels to foster staff development.
- Ensure organization is represented at Logistics Cluster meetings in order to network and develop relationships with other NGOs, governmental agencies and suppliers
- Assesses, manages, and reports critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
- Although it is optional, the SOM is invited to attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
- Co-ordination of all program logistics; developing and implementing the country procedures and policies for the management of the supply chain, travel and fleet, communication system.IT, and emergency preparedness. Manage and delegate tasks as well as responsibilities to key international and national logistics staff. And competent
- Ensure that Relief International minimum standards of logistics procedures and country policies are introduced and adhered to throughout the country of operations, briefing, training and supporting all relevant staff as required.
- Maintain a strong ethic that is not in contradiction to the Christian witness of Samaritan’s Purse to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Assess, manage and report critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
- Ensure that SPE Global procurement policies and procedures are kept up-to-date.
- Ensure changes are disseminated in a timely manner and that all appropriate staff are trained and competent.
- Ensure local, national and international procurement practices are complaint with donor regulations.
- Participate in mobilization efforts and meeting for all new projects extensions. Participate in finalizing the of Procurement Plans for all grants.
- Centralized the program supply chain by setting up of effective order management systems including pre-approved, preferred suppliers and framework agreements.
- Ensure that the supply chain is appropriate and cost effective, based on bud get, markets, infrastructure, nature of the SPE programs, and need for timely delivery.
- Make sure stock management systems are implemented and all ket staff know and adhere to policies. Support in monitoring projects stock levels and advice on appropriate stocking and replenishment to meet project demands.
- Oversee the stock management to make sure that minimum standards are enforced in the management; inventory and transportation.
- Oversee routine physical stock counts, document discrepancies and report losses to finance.
- Ensure receipt and reconciliation is done for all stocks which have been transferred from the warehouse to another SPE location.
- Ensure a centralized asset register is maintained; ensure that all office and program assets are logged. For all assets maintain tracking system and ensure all assets are issued with unique SPE asset number, ID tag and are tracked.
- Ensure assets and property are effectively managed, asset list is updated regularly and assets are disposed of according to SPE and/or donor regulations. Ensure annual (or bi-annual) asset checks are completed; damage and losses are reported immediately.
- Ensure donor reports for assets are timely completed and submitted to the Finance/Program and other departments as appropriate. Ensure appropriate and timely disposal of assets as necessary according to donor standards and regulations.
Transport, Travel &Fleet
- Ensure management of vehicle fleets is in line with RI standards; ensure that appropriate allocation and safe use of vehicles is achieved throughout the program and ensure servicing and maintenance schedules are adhered to.
- Ensure transport services are cost efficient and reliable. Ensure the efficient coordination timely delivery of supplies to projects.
- Ensure systems are in place to effectively plan, coordinate and monitor staff travel by road or air (national or international).
- Proactively develop the skills of SPE staff to understand and utilize appropriate tools and services to design and implement quality programming. Visit Field offices on regular bases and work with field staff to identify operational needs and ensure that issues are raised with CD, Department leads and other staff, as needed, to ensure they are included in new budget development.
- Design and implement capacity-building opportunities to strengthen the capacity of SPE Operations staff.
- Provide feedback through regular performance evaluations and ensure staff is held accountable in accordance with the SPE Human Resource policies.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Five years progressive management and leadership experience with at least 3 years international experience in supply chain management in an emergency environment including procurement, transport and distribution, warehouse and stock management.
- Experience working with at least two of the following donors: USAID, BPRM and UNHCR, ECHO, and knowledge of donor guidelines.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of practical Supply Chain procedures and maintaining supply pipelines in areas with weak infrastructure.
- Demonstrated excellence in training and capacity-building of specialist and non-specialist staff in Supply Chain Management.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills. Excellent IT skills; strong computer competency with word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Ability to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management and then effect change.
- Must be able to function effectively in complex work environment, set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements.
- Degree or professional certification in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or related field preferred.
Education / Experience Needed
- Master’s/Bachelor’s Degree required
- Twelve credit hours of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred.
- Experience in management support
- Advanced degree or related experience in project management, business administration, public administration, logistics, supply chain management, communications, or related field.
- Field experience and knowledge of the region is a strong asset.
- Fluency in English and Amharic is required.
- Strong analytical and leadership skills.
- Advanced problem solving and creative thinking skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Detail oriented with proven administrative experience and knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adaptable
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry; ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A high level of personal physical fitness is an asset to this position and its related responsibilities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use their hands and fingers to handle and feel, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and reach with hands and arms. The employee may be frequently required to walk long distances at high altitudes to reach project sites. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to cold, heat and humidity as well as heavy rainfall. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
How to ApplyInterested applicants can send ONLY updated CV and application letter NOT MORE THAN THREE PAGES to [email protected] . Please write the position title you are applying for in the email subject line, ''Senior Operations Manager''.