Title: Shelter Construction Officer
Employment Category: H2
Reporting To: Shelter and Infrastructure Team Leader
Direct Reports: N/A
Start of Contract & Duration: 6 Months with possibilities of extension
Posting date: June 23, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, Gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Under the direct supervision of the Shelter and Infrastructure Team Leader, the Shelter Construction Officer is responsible to ensure efficient and high-quality implementation of the emergency shelter project in Tigray region through day to day implementation ensuring that works are done according to standards and specifications.
- Assist the supervisor on new shelter and infrastructure projects designs.
- Carry-out initial assessment, site survey and technical assessments as well as prepare technical designs as required.
- Prepare project level scope of work, organize and lead the supervision and monitoring contractor work, works carried out by Daily/Incentive labor and/or repairs done by the beneficiaries themselves
- Track and record information related to follow up carried out by Shelter Assistant and contractors relating to any project
- Develop bills of quantities, breakdowns estimate and technical specifications for various construction and infrastructural activities and prepare procurement plan and spending plan.
- Beneficiary information requests and complaints in regard to technical aspects of implementation as directed by the supervisor.
- Support Supply Chain team in providing technical inspection before materials delivery and monitor quality project supplies during delivery.
- Continuously supervises quality and material utilization in the field.
- Submits daily, weekly and monthly report to the immediate supervisor every Friday and as require.
- Participate and represent DRC in relevant meetings with community leaders, government representatives at field level.
- Other relevant duties as directed by the supervisor.
Monitoring, Reporting and Development
- Develops Activities and material Monitoring and tracking Tools
- Planning and organizing of work schedules, project team member monitoring and guidance.
- Quality control and site monitoring ensuring that services are in accordance to SPHERE standards
- Beneficiaries’ list data collection and field verification
- Continuously update project documentation and files
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 4 years of experience in working on construction projects, supervision of contracts, community-based projects.
- Previous work experience with a satisfactory performance in the same or similar functional area preferably with INGO’s
- Conversant with all MS-Office software applications; Excellent computer Aided Design skills, AutoCAD, ArchiCAD etc
- Strong planning, organizational and problem-solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding work environment.
- Excellent personnel management skills, including diplomacy, communication and negotiating skills;
- Experience in staff training and capacity building
- Experience for working in complex, refugee contexts and hardship locations
- Results-oriented and demonstrated ability to build partnerships
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Bachelor’s degree in any disciple relating to Civil Engineering/ Construction.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Good verbal and written proficiency in English and Amharic; Tigrigna Language is advantageous.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence : Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating : Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity : Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values