GIZ- Internal/External Vacancy Announcement ‘#072/2022’
The Ethio-German Sustainable Training and Education Programme (STEP) improves the employment prospects of young Ethiopians by promoting quality and relevance in vocational training and higher education. In cooperation with the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MoSHE) as well as related agencies and institutions, the programme establishes strong linkages between the education and the private sector to support the development of a modern education system geared towards employment and economic growth. In this, employers, education providers and public authorities come together to identify their needs and jointly develop education and training solutions that best tackle the skill mismatch.
Duration of contract : 30.11.2024
Required Candidates : One
Place of Work : Addis Ababa, frequent travel to Adama and other centers within the region.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Advisor is responsible to establish dialogue between the stakeholders of the education system, other governmental agencies and institutions, the private sector and other players and facilitate collaboration and innovation. The advisor furthermore serves as a focal point for the topics related to TVET Bureaus, Public and Private TVET Colleges/Institutes, Regional Administrative Offices, companies/the private sector within the context of implementing Cooperative Training as well as other employment relevant measures in Ethiopia.
The primary responsibilities include:
- Identify and support Public and Private TVET institutions and select relevant occupations for the quality implementation of cooperative training in collaboration to the private sectors by jointly plan in selected economic sector.
- Facilitating the process between involved training institutes, enterprises and business associations in the implementation of the training cycle from admission to assessment.
- Assisting the identification and developing the relevant cooperative training programmes in cooperation with relevant Programme teams and partner organizations both from public and private sector
- Contributing to innovation and knowledge management within the programme
The Vocational Training and Labour Market Advisor Oromia is responsible for following tasks:
Coordination and project management for the programme activities in the Leadership and Employment Component in Oromia. Areas are not limited to but will include the following
- Trust building activities to facilitate collaboration: Initiation of effective collaboration between the education institutions and private sector, like TVET colleges, Universities and other governmental regulating institutions. Close cooperation with the project managers of other components of the programme to identify opportunities for joint project development and implementation.
- Public sector needs assessment: Establishing continuous dialogue with Public and Private TVET Colleges/Institutes, TVET Bureaus, Regional Administrative Offices and enterprises/employer associations to identify qualification gaps, needs/opportunities and innovative processes/trainings which could be supported by the partners of the education sector. The main focus is on Cooperative Training.
- Capacity building of TVET partners e.g. support teacher trainings, leadership trainings and other formats of Capacity Development.
- Translation of needs/opportunities into action and implementation of scaling up and piloting: Project development (e.g. with additional external technical support), joint preparation with and implementation of scaling up and pilot projects (e.g. development and design of short-term trainings in sector with high demand, job fairs, conferences to establish dialogues)
- Evaluation/Scaling up: Support the evaluation of pilot projects, lessons learnt and scaling up of successful pilots.
- Support other project activities in order to reach the project’s objectives – areas of involvement will be agreed upon as needed
- Support all general project management activities such as:
a. Communication and PR
b. Knowledge management
d. Preparation of concepts, strategies and operational plans for current and follow-on phase of the project
- Implement tasks under the technical and disciplinary supervision of the Leadership and Implementation Component Manager of STEP
1. Sector specific advisory services:
- Conducts research on the selected economic sectors and identify employment potentials, availability of TVET institutions, training providers and interested companies and other relevant bodies.
- Supports the Head of Component and other Programme teams in the establishment of relevant platforms, in which the sector-relevant training providers and companies, private sector organizations are represented.
- Supports the relevant training providers and enterprises, association, chambers in the selected sectors to establish a coordination framework for planning and delivering cooperative training in line with the Ethiopian TVET Qualifications Framework.
- Advises the TVET institutions to follow the demand-driven approach and take company needs into consideration in selecting relevant qualifications (quantity and quality), advise on necessary preconditions and support reaching an enabling training environment, define suitable training pathways for training delivery.
- Facilitates the trainees’ registration process and onboarding in the selected programmes.
- Advise TVET institutions on Cooperative Training and facilitating the programmes.
- Facilitates the assessment activities and processes in the completion of the training cycle.
- Supports the active engagement of the TVET Bureaus, selected TVET institutions etc. in all phases of the training.
- Monitors the development and implementation processes and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives as appropriate.
2. Networking, and cooperation
- Advises all TVET stakeholders to establish a cooperation framework for the planning and delivery of training in the selected economic sector.
- Facilitates a regular dialogue between the involved public and private sector organizations in the specific sector and region/area.
- Ensures operational planning sessions with relevant partner organizations in the sector and in the field of cooperative training.
3. Knowledge management and coordination
- Supports the Head of Component in the operational planning and documentation of the support activities in the selected areas.
- Supports the development of tools, trainings and approaches in planning and delivering the cooperative training in line with the Ethiopian TVET Qualifications Framework.
- Shares tools and approaches with the provincial team and relevant partner organizations.
- Supports the monitoring and evaluation measures for enhancing training quality.
4. Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned by the programme or supervisor.
Required qualifications, competences, and experience
- University degree in a topic related field (Vocational Education and Training, business administration, business development, engineering, social sciences, technical education)
2. Professional experiences
- At least 5 years professional experience in a comparable position in the field of Technical and Vocational Education and Training
- Knowledge about concepts of skills development
- Knowledge about the private sector
- Good understanding of development cooperation and advisory approaches
3. Other knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent understanding of the Ethiopian TVET system and the Ethiopian TVET Qualification Framework
- Excellent knowledge about TVET and Cooperative Training, employment promotion, private sector and capacity building approaches
- Very good working knowledge of Information and Communication Technologies (related software, phone, email, internet) and computer applications (MS Office)
- Good interpersonal skills and willingness to cooperate with various stakeholders from the public and the private sector
- Willingness to improve existing skills and gain new skills as required by the tasks to be performed
- Good (intercultural) communication skills
- Fluency in English and Afaan Oromo language is a must.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non- returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email: [email protected]
Note: - Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘ Vocational Training and Labour Market Advisor’ # 072 /2022 in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categories applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”