Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and WFP, and other international organizations. Since 2014, the UNOPS Ethiopia Multi-country Office (EMCO) runs and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, as well as Sudan and Djibouti. The UNOPS EMCO team is composed of approximately 100 national and international women and men, and offers a broad range of services such as infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial and human resources management.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Support Services, the Admin – Protocol and Liaison Officer is responsible for management of the country office administrative team and effective delivery of administrative support services. He/she analyzes and interprets the administrative rules and regulations and provides solutions to complex issues related to administration. The Admin – Protocol and Liaison Officer promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Admin – Protocol and Liaison Officer works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the country office, UNOPS HQ staff, UN agencies and Government officials, ministries and diplomatic missions to successfully deliver, process and facilitate all protocol and liaison administrative services.
Summary of Key Functions
- Provision of effective liaison with government and other partners
- Efficient protocol support to the country office.
- Effective support to administrative services
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Provides effective liaison function with government, and other partners, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintains and develops relationships with units in government ministries, agencies and other partners, to provide the necessary information to UNOPS management, projects and personnel with following up on official documents and requests, as well as scheduling and coordination of official meeting.
- Under the guidance of the Head of Support Services, work closely with the various units in following up on fund transfers, signing of project agreements and operational advances, etc.
2. Ensures effective protocol support to ensure effectiveness of the country office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintain continuous contact and dialogue with Government Ministries and Departments concerned on Protocol matters; and advice management accordingly. Draft correspondence as required.
- Undertake activities with the diplomatic and consular services on issuance of Ethiopian and other country visas for UNOPS personnel and visitors.
- Process and facilitate residency and work permits, as well as driver licenses, and UN IDs, duty-free for eligible personnel and their dependents.
- Advice travellers on visa requirements. Prepare and raise required documentation to the relevant authority to obtain entry/exit visas and travel permits for UNOPS personnel and visitors.
- Facilitate in obtaining clearance of UNOPS consignments and shipments, including those for official/project purposes as well as for international personnel. Prepare and raise documentation for vehicle registration.
- Support the program team in the follow up with relevant ministries on- fund transfers status.
- Handle specific activities with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Immigration Department, Airports Authority and Ministry of Finance to obtain various clearances, communicate security detail of VIPs, and request landing rights, etc.
- When required, arrange to meet & see off VIP passengers, UNOPS personnel and visitors at the airport and facilitate immigration and custom formalities.
- Establish and maintain a monitoring tool for protocol related issues. Update the status of each case; and report to supervisor on regular basis.
- Establish and maintain proper filing and archiving system for protocol related documents for the office and personnel files are kept up-to-date, and information relating to protocol issues are noted in the relevant files
- Maintain up-to-date contact details of the ministries and local authorities with whom UNOPS has working relationship; including contact personnel and documentation requirements.
- Continuously follow up with relevant Government office for current and up-to-date information on policies related to visas, work permits, tax exemption requirements, customs clearing etc; and advice UNOPS staff
- Preparation of relevant SOPs on protocol issues.
3. Ensures effective support to administrative services of the country office and team, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Handle processing of VAT exemptions and reimbursements for official purposes relating to delivery of projects; and/or for international personnel.
- Prepare and raise required documentation to relevant authorities for tax exemption on import/export items that might arise
- Handle various vehicle Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) activities in collaboration with MOENCO, Nyala Motors and other suppliers
- Handle various logistics, administrative and transport activities for different units as per the weekly plan and the direction provided by the Admin and LogisticsTeam
- Administrative advice and support to international staff and consultants of Regional Office (e.g. assist international staff and consultants in finding suitable housing according to their needs within a short time frame).
- Drafting of correspondence and internal procedural directives relating to administrative matters
- Administrative support and services provided to Regional Office or Operations/Project Centre’s key events (e.g. conferences, VIP visits, UN Day, etc.) on a timely and quality basis.
- Efficient and effective cooperation among different sub-teams in terms of achieving results.
4. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conducts briefing for staff on their diplomatic privileges and immunities in Ethiopia; prepares briefing notes for new staff on immigration formalities and ensures that the information is continuously updated.
- Participates in and contributions to the relevant workshops, staff/operations/programme meetings and seminars to provide information, updates and advice on shipment, customs and protocol issues, as required.
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the country office in administration management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Strategic approach to administration management, effective and efficient administrative support, and timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and overall effective delivery of UNOPS programmes and projects.
- First level university degree (Bachelors or equivalent), preferably in Business Administration, Public Administration, Logistics or other related discipline is required.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) will be considered a strong asset/desired.
B. Work Experience
- At least 2 years of progressive experience in a relevant position such as provision of administrative and liaison services, logistics and supply chain management, custom clearance.
- Experience with administration, supply, protocol and liaison functions with the UN/UNOPS or other International Organization would be considered as an asset.
- Experience and proven track record in dealing with government ministries, custom authorities and other relevant offices in processing various documents would be considered as an asset.
- Excellent computer skills and advance knowledge of MS Office is required.
- Having a valid driving license is required.
C . Language: Fluency in written and oral Amharic and English is required. Knowledge of second UN working language desirable.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead business processes in administration in accordance with relevant UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Ability to work at a consistently high level of accuracy
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
This is a local position and therefore it is open to only Nationals of Ethiopia.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: LICA 8
Contract duration: ongoing " subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability'"
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should use the link below for submitting applications