- Company: UNOPS
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ethiopia
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peace building contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
We employ more than 6,000 personnel and on behalf of our partners create thousands more work opportunities in local communities. Through our headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark and a network of offices, we oversee activities in more than 80 countries.
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and WFP, and other international organizations. In 2014, the UNOPS Executive Director decided to establish the UNOPS Ethiopia Multi-country Office (EMCO), which manages and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, as well as Sudan and Djibouti.
UNOPS EMCO activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources and logistics support for implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services on effective procurement, supply and financial management.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of Support Services (HoSS), the incumbent will support in ensuring greater predictability, visibility and accountability, while at the same time strengthening UNOPS EMCO’s partnership with various external stakeholders including government agencies, UN agencies, etc. S/he will also support protocol matters such as registration of staff, coordination with local authorities, on space, accreditation, visa issues, shipping and customs clearance, motor vehicle registration, tax exemptions of personnel, etc. Accordingly, the incumbent will be required to provide information on new changes, rules and regulations to the HoSS to analyze and interpret and provide solutions to a variety of clients.
S/he is expected to plan weekly activities, register and report daily accomplished activities and support the various units under as per the guidance of the HoSS. In addition, the incumbent will have to work with various government counterparts, ministries, diplomatic missions, ERCA and others.
Provides effective liaison function with government, UN agencies, and other partners, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintains and develops relationships with counterparts in government ministries, agencies and other partners, to provide the necessary information to UNOPS management, projects and personnel, following up on official documents such as intra-agency agreements and requests, as well as scheduling and coordination of official meetings.
- Builds and/or enhances relationships with key stakeholders ensuring correct and timely sharing of information between stakeholders.
- Preparation of agendas and supporting documentations for management meetings with Local Government Officials and other stakeholders.
- Maintain documentation of decisions and correspondence and actions taken on liaison issues and keep electronic filing up to date.etc.
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to host country security authorities.
- Under the guidance of the Head of Support Services, work closely with the various units in following up on fund transfers, signing of project agreements and operational advances, etc.
Ensures effective protocol support to ensure effectiveness of the country office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintain continuous contact and dialogue with Government Ministries and Departments concerned on Protocol matters; and advice management accordingly. Draft correspondence as required.
- Undertake activities with the diplomatic and consular services on issuance of Ethiopian and other country visas for UNOPS personnel and visitors official missions.
- Handle the issuance of residency and work permits, as well as driver licenses, and UN IDs, duty-free for eligible personnel and their dependents.
- Act as the local focal point, in coordination with the HR/Admin section, for all issues related to UNLP/UNC issuance and extensions in order to make sure that the residencies are extended in parallel as well;
- Facilitate in obtaining clearance of UNOPS consignments and shipments, including those for official/project purposes as well as for international personnel. Prepare and raise documentation for vehicle registration.
- Support the program team in the follow up with relevant UN agencies and donors on- fund transfers status.
- Handle specific activities with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Immigration Department, Airports Authority and Ministry of Finance to obtain various clearances, communicate security details of VIPs, and request landing rights, etc.
- When required, arrange to meet & see off VIP passengers, UNOPS personnel and visitors at the airport and facilitate immigration and custom formalities.
- Establish and maintain a monitoring tool for protocol related issues. Update the status of each case; and report to the supervisor on a regular basis.
- Establish and maintain proper filing and archiving system for protocol related documents for the office and personnel files are kept up-to-date, and information relating to protocol issues are noted in the relevant files
- Maintain up-to-date contact details of the ministries and local authorities with whom UNOPS has working relationships; including contact personnel and documentation requirements.
- Continuously follow up with relevant Government office for current and up-to-date information on policies related to visas, work permits, tax exemption requirements, customs clearing etc; and advice UNOPS staff
- Establish relevant SOPs on protocol issues.
- Handle processing of VAT exemptions and reimbursements for official purposes relating to delivery of projects; and/or for international personnel.
- Prepare and raise required documentation to relevant authorities for tax exemption on import/export items that might arise
- Drafting of correspondence and internal procedural directives relating to protocol matters
- Provide support for UNOPS EMCO’s key events (e.g. conferences, VIP visits, UN Day, etc.) on a timely and quality basis.
- Other related support as needed.
Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conducts briefing for staff on their diplomatic privileges and immunities in Ethiopia; prepares briefing notes for new staff on immigration formalities and ensures that the information is continuously updated.
- Participates in and contributes to the relevant workshops, staff/operations/programme meetings and seminars to provide information, updates and advice on shipment, customs and protocol issues, as required.
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the country office in administration management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Strategic approach to administration management, effective and efficient administrative support, and timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and overall effective delivery of UNOPS programmes and projects.
- First-level university degree (Bachelors or equivalent), preferably in Business Administration, Public Administration, law, international relations, communication, or other relevant discipline is required.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in relevant fields will be considered as a strong asset.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience with a BA degree working in positions such as Protocol, Liaison, Communication, Public Relations, legal services, or relevant fields is required, preferably dealing with government authorities, ministries and various offices, and other very important stakeholders.
- Experience in processing and interpreting legally binding agreements and other various official documents dealing with government ministries, officials/authorities or similar offices is required.
- Experience of custom clearance formalities is an advantage.
- Experience of working in an International Organization would be an asset.
- Excellent computer skills are required, and knowledge of google suite applications is desirable.
- Having a valid driving license is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of both Amharic and English languages is required.
- Knowledge of a second UN working language is desirable
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
This is a local position and therefore it is open to only Nationals of Ethiopia.
Contract type : Local Individual Contractual Agreement Contract level : LICA 8 Contract duration Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’