GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #048/2021
Energising Development (EnDev) Ethiopia
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on the commission of the Ethiopian Government and other international donors.
Energising Development Ethiopia (EnDev) Ethiopia (being implemented by GIZ) supports a sustainable supply of energy services to lower-income households, social institutions and small to medium sized enterprises with a focus on rural areas. EnDev is a multi-donor and multi-implementer energy access partnership. It is currently financed by six donor countries – the Netherlands, Germany, Norway, the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Sweden. Being part of the global programme, EnDev Ethiopia receives additional co-funding from Ireland, the Korea Foundation for International Healthcare and the European Union.
Duration of contract : : From May 01,2021 to December 31,2022
- The Advisor (Battery Service Line) is responsible for:
- Advisory for all technical aspects of the improvement of the lead-acid battery lifecycle in Ethiopia.
- Advisory for private sector actors regarding environmental rules and regulations, with a focus on compliant hazardous waste and e-waste management.
- Advisory on building technical capacity of private sector in the areas of sound lead-acid battery collection, storage, transportation and disposal or recycling.
- Advisory on technological upgrade of private sector facilities in sound lead-acid battery collection, storage, transportation and disposal or recycling.
- Development of (co-)financing options in support of the technical and technological support and capacity development of private sector actors.
- Support the development of certification/accreditation schemes and quality standards for the sound handling of lead-acid battery recycling.
- Cooperation with other advisors working on advisory and capacity development of policy makers and public-sector actors regarding an improved lead-acid battery lifecycle management.
- Support the technical coordination and supervision of external consultants and other service providers hired for the implementation.
- Support in the implementation of all policies, regulations, standards, guidelines and roadmap on sound handling of lead-acid battery recycling.
- General support of the planning, implementation and monitoring of technical advisory activities in the Solar Electrification and Market Development as defined in the proposals & contracts of Energising Development Ethiopia (EnDev Ethiopia)
- Communication with all involved staff, partners and institutions.
- Contribution to awareness creation, monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management of all relevant activities of the service line.
Within the framework of the responsibilities of the position, he/she fulfills the following tasks:
Technical implementation processes
- Capacity development of private sector actors in complying with Ethiopian regulations relevant to LAB management. This encompasses, amongst others:
A . Analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats related to current and technical and technological setup of private-sector handlers of lead-acid batteries.
B . Definition of technical advisory needs of private-sector actors and agrees with these on an advisory capacity development support plan.
C . Organizing and coordinating trainings in environmentally sound LAB management.
D. Advisory on technical and technological improvement of LAB-handling entities (collectors, transporters, recyclers).
E. Develop tailor-made technical and technological concepts for upgrading private sector facilities, including Bills of Quantities, material costs, local availability assessment for material.
- Supports the development of financing options for technical and technological upgrades of private sector companies, which encompasses, amongst others:
A. Analysis of financing and co-financing options for upgrading LAB handling facilities.
B. Assess with private and public-sector entities and potential donors and development partners their potential to combine forces.
C. Develop together with the financial systems development component of EnDev (co-) financing concepts and conducts their piloting and/or roll-out.
- Promoting research and development in environmentally sound LAB management. This encompasses, amongst others:
A. Organizing and coordinating trainings in environmentally sound LAB management for universities and research institutions.
B. Organize a research competition for appropriate, locally producible/available solutions for environmentally sound LAB management.
C . Assess research & development results and pilot test cases in cooperation with public and private sector.
- Supports from a technical angle the implementation of a licensing scheme for LAB handlers, directive and guidelines for lead-acid battery handling and all other relevant activities of the service line that require technical input.
- Plans, coordinates and document minutes of meetings, workshops, seminars and other activities of the project, focusing on the technical aspects.
- Supports the development of Terms of Reference for trainers and consultants in support of the above activities.
- Supports the compilation of an overview of current and planned project activities in the required format.
Cooperation and coordination processes:
- Coordinates and consults closely with the Head of component and the advisor for all activities on environmentally sound LAB management.
- Consultation with- and integration of line ministries, regional bureaus, zonal and woreda offices as well as relevant private sector stakeholder for this undertaking.
- Supports the coordination of external contractors and service providers during the implementation of activities.
- Technically supports and supervises external contractors and service providers and gives feedback on their performance.
- Supports the establishment of relevant networks of actors in the lead-acid battery lifecycle (wholesalers and retailers, collectors, transporters recyclers, government actors, research institutions, NGOs etc.) from both private and the public sectors.
- Liaises EnDev with relevant institutions (public, private, national, international, NGOs/CSOs) and represents EnDev in meetings, workshops and conferences and other events in consultation with the component manager.
- Cooperates with other GIZ projects in consultation with the component manager.
- Provides support in organisational and management questions of the component.
Monitoring, reporting and knowledge management
- Follows up the project monitoring system, updates information concerning the progress of the activities and documents the results of the activities.
- Supports the redaction of progress reports on all relevant activities of the service line.
- Shares all information to various target groups about lead-acid batteries lifecycle developments, training aids, research findings and studies that are relevant for the project planning, implementation and knowledge management.
- Contributes to the design, storing, processing and disseminating of information and knowledge management products.
- Organises and maintains the project documentation and filing system regarding the service line’s results and outcomes.
- Provides information and any other support needed by the Monitoring & Evaluation section, Knowledge Management section and PR & Communication sections.
- Familiarises with GIZ- and EnDev Ethiopia-specific planning, implementation and reporting procedures and its changes.
- Represents the interests and always acts on behalf of GIZ and EnDev Ethiopia.
- Undertakes duties in consultation and collaboration with other managers and experts / advisors at EnDev and partner institutions to ensure smooth communication and cross-fertilisation of knowledge.
- Carries out tasks relevant to the service line / project / programme which may not be explicitly mentioned in the job description but lie in its nature.
- Participates in trainings related to his position and duties, if required and agreed on in the annual staff talks.
- Ensure the use of office and transport facilities in accordance with terms, conditions and any other agreements of usage.
Required qualifications, professional experience and additional competencies
- Bachelor or master’s degree preferably in Natural Science, Engineering, Environmental Science or any other related field related to e-waste management or waste management.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in the areas of environmental health, waste management and recycling, with a particular focus on e-waste and hazardous waste.
- Extensive work experience with the private sector in the area of waste management, with a focus on hazardous waste and e-waste.
- Expert knowledge and work experience in lead-related waste and battery lifecycle management is an asset.
- Profound knowledge about technological and technical management requirements of environmentally sound management of hazardous waste & e-waste
- Profound knowledge of the Ethiopian environmental laws and policies and strategies relevant for this service line
- Experience in financial planning and funds acquisition
- Proven skills in activity and strategy development for clients and partners especially with international donors.
- Project management experience
Other knowledge and additional competencies
- Ability to work in a team and with a minimum of instructions
- Very good written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Written and oral fluency in English is a must
- Very good working knowledge of standard ICT applications of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and willingness to obtain proficiency in GIZ-specific applications (MS Teams, OneDrive, OneNote, IDA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email : [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘ Advisor Electronic Waste (Battery Service Line) #048/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”