As a registered charity, founded in 1979, Action Against Hunger operates in 45+ countries. The international network of Action Against Hunger is represented in France, United Kingdom, Spain, Canada, USA and India. Teams in the field combat hunger on 4 fronts: Nutrition and Health, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Water, Sanitation and hygiene (WASH), and Mental Health and Care Practices (MHCP).
For our WASH Department in Wollega, we are currently looking for the following professional:
Plan, implement and supervise construction activities. Facilitate and supervise site construction works of the project as per the standard design, specification and proposal of the project. Ensure community participation and quality standard.
Conduct, support & follow-up implementation of software (hygiene and sanitation promotion) activities
Objective 1: Participate in identifying the beneficiary communities of the project
- Participate in targeting villages and selecting locations for constructions
- Participate in planning of procurement's and construction activities
- Ensures full participation of communities and concerned Government line departments at all levels;
- Ensures that adequate information is collected at each project site for the plan to be sound and needs of different segments of the community are included in the plan
- Establishes good working relationship with local officials of the woredas level government bodies and other stakeholders;
- Participate in organizing, coordination , planning and conducting of WASH surveys and assessments ;
- Participate in planning social mobilization and software activities.
- Facilitate and conduct visibility material installation and erection at WASH programs intervention areas.
Objective 2 : Implement the activities of the project -construction Activities :
- Ensure implementation of the activities defined by the WASH PM/ Deputy WASH PM
- Schedule activities according to the project’s development ;
- Identify and anticipate problems or constraints ;
- Collect all required data through MWater data for newly constructed as well as rehabilitated schemes
- Prepare DIP, detail BOQ, specification and plan/method of construction
- Prepare and design child friendly, gender and disability sensitive and environmentally sound WASH facilities.
- Prepare/review designs, cost estimates and construction plans according to the standard and site condition in consultation with the Deputy WASH PM/ WASH PM. Facilitate construction site hand over.
- Participate in identifying of target areas and project locations as per the proposal
- Identify local construction material sources and facilitate supplies.
- Supervise construction activities effectively with time and allocated budget according to the standard & the proposal.
- Ensure and check quality & quantity of construction materials, equipment’s and workmanship.
- Provide on-site technical assistance to contractors/artisans.
- Ensure safekeeping of construction materials, equipment’s and labour in collaboration with local authorities/communities.
- Calculate the work volume accomplished and prepare payment certificate for contracts.
- Take over completed WASH projects and hand over to community water management committees (CWMCs) and woreda authorities in collaboration with woreda stake holders and CWMCs
- Facilitate CWMCs and Woreda Water office capacity building training
- Follow-up the work flow and ensure the payment of skilled and unskilled workers
- Follow the project’s advancement by regular visits ;
Objective 3: Participate in ensuring the involvement of beneficiary communities in the project
- Coordinate hygiene activities and sensitize local partners in the field ;
- Identify the community’s technical training needs ;
- Organize information meetings with community members to develop their knowledge in terms of water quality
- Facilitate the handing over of completed facilities to the target community and local authorities.
Objective 4: Reporting and managing the project team a ctivities :
- Keep/document accurate project records(both construction and hygiene promotion) with the required detail and quality
- Write weekly, monthly and periodic reports as requested by the Deputy WASH PM/WASH PM
- Participate in the technical recruitment of skilled and unskilled labourers;
- Elaborate the content of the required training and organize it and support the Deputy WASH PM/ WASH PM
BSc Degree in Hydraulics/Water Resource/Civil Engineering with a minimum 3 year of experience (NGO related experience is advantageous) in WASH program field both in development and emergency situations. Extensive experience in WASH components’ study, design, implementation, contract administration, construction supervision, managing contractors, preparation of take-off sheets, measurements and payment certificates, and practical exposure on drilling of shallow and deep wells, spring construction, rain water harvesting and latrine construction is desirable.
Required Competencies and skills :
Ability to analyse and synthesize – Capacity to manage team – Good organizational skills – Diplomacy – Relational qualities – Flexibility – Dynamism – Creativity – Knowledge of public health (in particular water related diseases) – Knowledge of organizing sanitary surveys and using conventional approach methods Report writing skills and computer skills in word processing and spreadsheets. Skills in technical drawings software (preferably AutoCAD) is desirable.
OROMIFFA LANGUAGE IS MANDATORY
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your application composed of: none returnable CV, Covering Letter with “ Construction Supervisor ” written in the subject line , and two references, applicants to the following addresses:
· Action Against Hunger– Addis Ababa – Human Resources Department , directly in person Gimbi office next to family Guidance Association office.
“Women Applicants Are Highly Encouraged”
NB : Only short listed applicants will be communicated on and s election process includes technical test and an interview.