The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) is looking for a highly qualified locally-recruited full-time driver for its Regional Office for Africa (ROA) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. This post is open only to citizens or permanent residents of Ethiopia .
- Under the supervision of the Director, Regional Office for Africa (D/ROA), the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Drive the Director and/or delegates to meetings both inside and outside the United Nations complex, including possible long-distance trips;
- Meet official WMO visitors at the airport and provide local transportation as required or necessary;
- Ensure that the statutory vehicle requirements, such as inspection and insurance, are fulfilled on-time, and that periodic scheduled vehicle maintenance is completed and reported;
- Ensure that the office car is clean and in good working condition at all times, and that the mileage book entries are kept up-to-date;
- Carry-out errands, including paying of the bills, delivery of documents and mail
- (UNDP pouch, post office, etc.) and prepare monthly vehicle expenditure report;
- Drive the office staff to the bank and to official venues, including meetings at the United Nations Agencies in Addis Ababa;
- Carry out other relevant duties, as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERENCE:
- Completed secondary school education or equivalent commercial or technical studies with corresponding diploma.
- A minimum of five years of full-time driving experience in employment, with at least three years driving for an international organization.
- Possess a valid driving license issued by the Ethiopian Government for at least five years, has a knowledge of protocol and with a clean driving record.
Familiarity with Addis Ababa roads and major places (Embassies, United Nations Offices, etc.). Physically qualified to drive a motor vehicle. Must be presentable, service-minded, self-motivated and performance driven. Ability to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to foster diversity and team spirit.
- Excellent knowledge of English and knowledge of other local languages. Knowledge of other official languages of the Organization would be an advantage.
(Note: the official languages of the Organization are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.)
NATURE OF ASSIGNMENT :
Fixed term of two years with possibility of renewal pending funding and satisfactory performance after an initial probationary period of one year, which can be extended up to a maximum of two years. Remuneration corresponds to United Nations G.2 local salary scale.
The appointment of an incumbent is subject to availability of funds.
How to Apply
Applications should be made through the WMO e-recruitment system at https://erecruit.wmo.int/public . Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit a written test and/or an interview. Please note that this post will be based in Addis Ababa and is open only to citizens or permanent residents of Ethiopia.