Job Title: Driver
Reporting to: Logistics & Admin Coordinator
Job Based at: Addis Ababa and travel to Area Offices
Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Ethiopia the Driver is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The driver is responsible for safely transporting NRC staff and equipment/materials to approved destinations.
· Transport NRC staff, visitors, materials to designated destinations when officially approved
· Ensure the safety and security of the passengers, the goods and the vehicle
· Immediately report accidents, breakdowns and needs of repair and general maintenance/service
· Respect the local traffic regulations and the NRC logistical/vehicle policies at all times
· Maintain the logbook for all trips
· Maintain the vehicle in proper operating condition & clean at all times
· Arrange for repairs and servicing in consultation with your line manager
· Ensure the assigned vehicle has all the necessary documents and equipment
· Provide logistical support during trainings and workshops
· Drive NRC Ethiopia vehicles to give service to NRC staff as required and given schedule by the Logistics Officer.
· Always carry out basic security checks on the vehicles that he/she uses before starting driving and at the end of the day. (Battery water, fuel & oil levels, radiator water, Tyre pressure/condition, etc.)
· Ensure the vehicle meets the maintenance schedule and should inform the Logistics Assistant of any faults as and they occur.
· Maintain neat & accurate record of all journeys in the vehicle log book.
· Carry out the daily vehicle check and inventory.
· Report immediately any damage or accident to the immediate supervisor/Head of Office / Logistics Assistant in Addis Ababa following correct procedures in the case of the accident, incident or complaints.
· Ensure the vehicle is kept clean and tidy always.
· Ensure that the vehicle is only used for NRC approved purposes.
· Keep and respect NRC driver rule and conduct.
· Respect traffic regulation as per the Road Transport and Traffic regulation.
· Responsible for the collection, storage, transport and final delivery of all goods in his/her vehicle.
· Ensure every passenger wears Safety Belt before start driving the vehicle.
· No mobile phones are to be answered when driving
· Driving style should suit local conditions, and should be careful and passive
· As a representative of NRC the driver is expected to dress and behave in a respectable manner at all times
· The driver should manage his/her time properly and report promptly to work. She/he should also ensure that s/he is adequately rested prior to long journeys
· Drivers requiring prescription glasses must wear these at all times when driving
· Drivers must carry out a weekly vehicle check, and submit the Weekly Vehicle Check form to the Logistics Assistant
· The driver should familiarize him/herself with the tools and equipment in the vehicle
· The driver should familiarize him/herself with the local area and planned journey route prior to departure, particularly any security issues to be aware of
· Undertake any other duties as requested by immediate supervisor.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
· High school complete
· Valid Grade 3 driver’s license
· Experience as a Driver for three (3) years in a humanitarian/recovery context
· Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
· Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
· Knowledge about own skills/profile
· Some knowledge of English
· Some knowledge of Auto mechanics.
All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send in their application letters including updated curriculum vitae & copy of valid driver’s license with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees only through (If it is possible, attach photocopies of the most relevant educational certificates/testimonials). Applications should reach NRC latest by May 2, 2019.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
“Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as NRC offers attractive salary and benefit with on-the-job training opportunities!”