Selamta Family Project, Inc. is a non-profit organization registered as foreign charitable organization by the Agency for Civil Society Organizations of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.
It develops forever families for orphaned and abandoned children, marginalized women and at-risk families in Ethiopia. It does so by implementing in-country, family-based, community integrated solutions focused on prevention and restoration of vulnerable children and families through intentional relationships with one child, one family at a time. We currently serve one hundred thirty children and youth across ten “Forever Family” homes and twenty-two “Outreach Families” in Addis Ababa. For further information, visit http://www.selamtafamilyproject.org
SFP is in the process of expanding its programs and improving the quality of services it provides to children and families. To this end, the organization would like to invite qualified and competent applicants for the following vacant positions:
The Educational Social Worker is responsible for coordinating educational and enrichment programs, managing pathways to independence for our families and serving as technological expert to the children/youth.
Priority Tasks by Responsibility:
1. Educational Support and Enrichment Development
- Develop relationships with children/youth and caregivers by establishing trust and open lines of communication.
- Work closely with the caregivers, children/youth in assessing students’ academic progress and intervene accordingly
- Create after-school-activities-programs that encourage the development of interests and unique skills – youth-led and adult-supervised.
- Schedule quarterly family (for each family) field trips into Addis and the surrounding community for cultural and educational experiences
- Work closely with schools where the kids go to
- Collaborate with the team in leading the tutorial programs at the community Center and in the family homes
- Provide children/youth with valuable life-skills training opportunities
- Work closely with the Outreach Social worker in relation to assessing the academic progress of Outreach children/youth
- Devise and implement special systems to support students who are not up to speed academically and exhibit behavioral issues
- Collaborate with the team in preparing and, regularly, revising documents
2. Pathways to Independence Strategy
- Assist the Education and Enrichment Manager (EEM) on implementation of the Pathways to Independence Strategy.
- Collaborate with the EEM and other support staff to create Individual Development Plans for each Selamta-supported child/youth.
- Create and maintain a career binder highlighting which careers are available in Ethiopia and what it takes to prepare for those jobs.
- Develop a network of job shadowing opportunities (one-time visits, apprenticeships, internships, part-time jobs, summer employment, etc.)
- Collaborate with the EEM and other support staff to prepare families for the transition of launching a youth into independence.
3. Technological Support
- Work closely with the US and local staff in relation to updating students’ results regularly, on Salesforce.com and Google Drive.
- Manage and control the Selamta ICT and Language Development Center.
- Provide technological support to the children, youth, and caregivers as needed.
Salary and Benefits
- Basic Salary = 8000 Birr + Transportation = 1980 Birr + for Cell Phone Allowance = 300 Birr + House allowance = 275 Birr
- 50% Medical coverage (not exceeding a month’s basic salary amount)
- BA Degree in education, psychology, sociology, anthropology or related social sciences + 2 years’ experience in teaching, tutoring, and related areas of work
- Willingness to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in computer including Word, Excel, internet – ability to learn new platforms
- Strong work ethic, Energetic
- Accountable, honest, transparent, and dependable
- Excellent communication skills, both in written and speech [English & Amharic]
- Passionate about children and youth development
- Experience working in school settings is advantageous
- Mentoring skills, experience is appreciated
- Willing to work outside the normal working hours, if needed
- Willingness to facilitate payment of school fees, tutorial fees as needed
How to Apply
Interested applicants who fulfill the aforementioned requirements can send non-returnable application letter and CV within 5 working days from the date of announcement via [email protected] .
Qualified and competent women are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.