Immediate Vacancy Announcement (Internal/External)
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organization with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate on behalf of refugees and other forcibly displaced people. It was founded by the Society of Jesus on 14 th November 1980 in Rome, Italy. Currently, JRS operates over 56 countries worldwide. JRS has been working in Ethiopia since 1982. Currently JRS Ethiopia operates in Addis Ababa, Somali region (Melkadida, Kobe and Bokolomayo refugee camps) and Tigray (Mai-Aini and Adi-Harush refugee camps). JRS Ethiopia’s main areas of interventions are education, livelihoods, child protection, psychosocial support, emergency assistance, and reconciliation and social cohesion.JRS Ethiopia wants to hire qualified and competent Social Worker-Emergency and Psychosocial based in its Refugee Community Centre Project Office in Addis Ababa. The position holder will be responsible for coordinating all emergency and psychosocial activities of RCC project under supervision of the Emergency and Psychosocial Coordinator.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engage in selection of beneficiaries for emergency assistance services as per predetermined selection criteria;
- Involve in procurement and distribution of emergency food and NFIs to the intended beneficiaries (Refugees, IDPs and vulnerable host households)
- Provide individual and group counselling to address specific emotional, social, and behavioural needs of refugees
- Conduct home visits, provide follow-up support and periodic re-evaluation services as necessary
- Accompany clients to partner health service provider and other organizations
- Assist Emergency and Psychosocial Coordinator in different activities such as provision counselling and psychosocial supports, trainings, and awareness creation activities;
- Prepare periodical reports and submit to the coordinator and/or coordinator and/or RRC project director
- Assist the coordinator in producing periodical reports, testimonial success stories, and articles etc.
- Assist the coordinator in entering beneficiaries’ data into the database of JRS RCC emergency interventions and managing it
- Participate in assessments on psychological wellbeing of urban refugees and impacts of JRS services on target groups
- In collaboration with the coordinator and/or other JRS staff facilitate life skills, psychological first aids and other trainings for urban refugees, volunteers, leaders of urban refugee communities etc.
- With the support of the coordinator organize awareness raising activities, events and campaigns on mental health and protection risks of urban refugees and other vulnerable groups
- Maintain good working relationship with the refugee communities, the government partners, other service providers and stakeholders
- Maintain confidentiality; abide by JRS code of conduct and the child safeguarding policy
- Ensure JRS’s and international minimum standards on MHPSS and emergency interventions are uphold,
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed/required by your Coordinator
Term of Employment: Eight (8) months, May – December 2022
Required No. of Staff: One (1)
Starting date: Immediately
Gross Salary Scale: ETB 13,500 - ETB 15,570 per month
- At least BA degree in social science fields (preferably social work, psychology, sociology), humanitarian and refugee studies, public health and other related fields.
Proven Professional Experience
- At least three years of proven experiences for BA degree degree applicants and two years for MA applicants
- Proven experience in providing counselling service for refugees and other displaced people
- Experience with service delivery to multicultural and diverse groups
- Experience in working with assessment tools (e.g. questionnaires, focus group discussions);
- Experience in organizing awareness raising events and facilitating trainings on life skills, psychological first aids, reproductive health and GBVs etc.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Good skills in English required
- Ability to write clear and well-argued reports;
- High degree of proficiency in the use of MS Office (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Word, Publisher)
- Self-motivated, highly organized team player and collaborative spirit
How to Apply
Interested Applicants can submit their CV and application letter with non- returnable copies of credentials to JRS-Ethiopia e-mail address:
within 6 calendar days of this announcement (including weekend):