GIZ-External/Internal Vacancy Announcement #162/2021
Sustainable Industrial Clusters (S.I.C)
Ethiopia has embarked on an ambitious path towards economic development. The home grown economic reform, which incorporates a strong industrialization strategy, aims for Ethiopia to become a middle-income country by 2030. A key aspect of Ethiopia’s industrialization agenda is the establishment of industrial parks (IPs), which aim to attract foreign direct investment (FDI), increase exports, create jobs for a young, growing population, and promote the country as a light manufacturing hub on the African continent.
In line with the Ethiopian transformation agenda, the British and German governments are supporting the country’s pathway towards industrialization through the implementation of a joint project named Sustainable Industrial Clusters (S.I.C.). The project is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH under a co-financing agreement between the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) of the United Kingdom and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
S.I.C. has the objective to foster job-effective growth while improving social and environmental sustainability in Ethiopia’s manufacturing sector. Through its implementation, the S.I.C. project will contribute to closing the gap between aspirations and results of the industrial park agenda by addressing issues such as improved park operations; worker welfare; environmental sustainability; improved environmental and social sustainability frameworks and their enforcement; as well as business linkages between locally-based companies and industrial parks.
In this regard the project is looking for an Environmental Advisor to support the implementation of the Eco-Industrial Park Framework in a selected industrial park (either Hawassa or Adama). The interventions will comprise topics like sustainable water supply, renewable energy, waste management and climate change mitigation.
Contract duration: Until November 30, 2023
- Provide technical support to the overall implementation of the project component focusing on environmental sustainability, in close coordination with the project team based in Addis Ababa and other IPs.
- Advise IP management in developing and executing environmental sustainable measures in accordance with Eco-Industrial Park Framework.
- Mobilize necessary environmental investments to make the IP more effective and environmentally friendly.
- Plan and conduct capacity building measures for IP Management and other stakeholders in close cooperation with S.I.C. colleagues.
- Support the establishment and coordination of a dialogue platform among the industrial park management, investors and city-/regional authorities for regular exchange of issues related to environmental sustainability.
- Support in monitoring the components’ inputs, activities and outcome indicators, according to the overall project planning and management tool.
- Coordinate assignments of national and international short-term experts as well as long term consultancy firms.
- Provide effective communication and coordination between the project team based in Addis Ababa and other IPs and the team based in Adama/Hawassa.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email : [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘ Environmental Advisor #175/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”