The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing integrated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response.
Job Overview :The Environmental Health Officer is responsible for proper implementation of life-saving emergency WASH response project through planning, implementing, monitoring and supervision of water supply and sanitation construction activities. The position also requires proper management of staff under his supervision, skilled and unskilled labor, construction materials, equipment & other resources under the project, and reporting regularly. The Environmental Health Officer will directly reports to Senior Environmental Health Officer and directly supervisee staffs based in woredas.
Duty Station : Adama with frequent field travel
Salary & Benefit : as per IRC pay scale
Posting Date : September 21, 2020
Closing Date : September 30, 2020
BSc Degree/MSc Degree in Water Supply Engineering or Hydraulic Engineering.
Minimum experience of 3 years for BSc Degree or 2 years for MSc Degree holders.
At least 1-year supervisory experience and basic managerial skills.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies :
· Demonstrated experience in managing water supply schemes & sanitation facilities construction.
· Knowledge of domestic water supply system of hydraulic design.
· NGO experience on the area of emergency WASH response projects.
· Strong interpersonal communication skills and sense of personal integrity.
· Ability to multi-task & carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support.
· Ability to work under pressure & willingness to put in extra hours in emergencies
· Basic computer skills (office), Microsoft office, Excel, word.
· Knowledge of Engineering Software (Water cad, Epanet, Auto CAD, Arc GIS and SPSS).Language Skills : Good command of English, Afaan Oromo, and Amharic languages.
How to Apply
Interested applicants who met the minimum requirements are encouraged to apply ONLY on IRC Career portal on this link:
Your application letter and CV must include the following information:
- Name of the position you have applied for and date of application.
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
- Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
Female candidates who fulfil the above criteria are highly encouraged to apply.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.