The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees made to flee from war or disaster.
The IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 2000, currently working in six regions in providing relief services to refugees, victims of drought, and war-affected populations. IRC Hawassa FO is one of the field offices working in SNNPR since 2005.
Summary Statement of Responsibilities
The driver has the directive to handle the resource allocated to him/her and give service in accordance with IRC vehicle operation policy and procedures.
This position reports to the supply chain assistant-warehouse and will have the following responsibilities.
Responsibilities: 1: Proper driving
· The driver is encouraged to drive 80kms/hour on asphalt road and 60kms/hour on non-asphalt roads
· The driver is obliged to act in compliance with traffic laws and regulations
· The driver must serve in normal mood and mind, not under the influence of any type of drug or liquor
· The driver should have a valid driving license with him/her always.
· He /she should use a safety belt while driving.
· The driver should avoid using mobile phones while driving
Responsibility 2: Safety equipment and tools
· The driver is encouraged to ensure the presence of safety equipment and tools in the vehicle
Responsibility 3: Vehicle Maintenance
· The position holder should Make timely request for 5000Kms, and 10,000kms service
· Makes timely request for minor maintenances as vital
· Makes follow up on maintenances at the garages
· Returns all old parts that are replaced during maintenances
Responsibility 4: Maintenance of vehicle tidiness
· Ensures internal and external tidiness of the vehicle assigned
· Ensures that seat covers are clean and accurately fixed
Responsibility 5: Documentation and record-keeping
· The driver is responsible to accurately complete log sheets.
· He/she has to consistently use the vehicle operation report formats
· The driver is encouraged to complete Spare parts request form
· The driver is encouraged to immediately complete and submit an incident report and police report in case of an accident
Responsibility 6: General Procedure maintenance
· The driver is encouraged not to give a ride to the non-staff person without prior approval of the FC
· Maintain the IRC Rule of not escorting non-staff without an approval of the concerned body.
· Must ensure that no drug (chat) is chewed in the IRC vehicle.
Responsibility 7: Vehicle utilization
· The driver must believe and adhere that the IRC Vehicles are only meant for the IRC Purpose.
· The driver is responsible to ensure there is a prior approval for using IRC vehicle assigned to him/her for non-IRC activities
· Four years of relevant work experience for High school Graduates.
· Proven ability for TVET graduated.
· 3rd-grade valid license and other mechanical training are considered as an asset.
· Must have good knowledge of both spoken and written English, and safe driving ability, and closely adhering to IRC’s driving and vehicle management as well as government regulations.
· Good communication and social skills.
· Proven Track Record to work under pressure.
· NGO experience is plus
· Resourcefulness: working in a multi-cultural environment.Excellent mechanical know-how and skills
How to Apply
Please send your CV, application letter and copies of credentials to the following address: IRC, Hawassa and directly applying through the below links is also mandatory.
Internal Career Site
Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
· Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
- Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
· Name of the position you have applied for
· Date of application
· Summary of your qualifications and experience
· Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
· Permanent Address and present address (if different form permanent) and telephone number
· Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
Are any of your relatives employed by International Rescue committee (IRC)?
If answer is “yes”, give the following information:
Recruiter of the position Hawassa HR/Admin
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Female employees are highly encouraged to apply