The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations (UN), supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the UN, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and UNICEF, and other international organizations. In 2014, the UNOPS Executive Director decided to establish the UNOPS Ethiopia Multi Country Office (ETMCO), which leads and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, Sudan and Djibouti.
UNOPS EMCO activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources and logistics support for implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services to partners to facilitate effective procurement, supply and financial management.
The specific project objective for UNOPS is to provide partners with the procurement of necessary IT network and server infrastructure equipment and installation services, project management, advisory services, technical assistance and performance monitoring/evaluation against contracted deliverables.
Project Manager directly impacts on achievement of project results by adhering to project management methods and strategies, reducing risks, cutting costs and improving success rates. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
Here are summary of the Project Manager functions:
- Project Delivery and Performance
- Monitoring and reporting
- Stakeholder engagement
- Quality assurance
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Personnel management
For role details, visit UNOPS Jobs.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field is required, preferably in IT related fields such as computer science, information systems, etc.
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree in related studies, combined with an additional 2 years’ experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- PRINCE2 Certification is desirable.
- Cisco and Microsoft Certifications are desirable.
- At least 5 years’ experience in management of ICT projects.
- Experience on Network and Server Infrastructure Installation projects with understanding of the network installation lifecycle and methodologies is required.
- Experience working with or within international organizations is desirable.
- Experience managing budgets and understanding of public sector procurement processes is an advantage;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.