Full TIME POSITION of 40 hours per week – 12-month fixed term contract
Reporting to : Ethiopia country representative
The Freedom Fund has been working in Ethiopia since 2015, focusing its work on generating improved understanding and practices of safer migration, providing socio-economic support to those most likely to migrate, reintegrating victims of trafficking, promoting learning and good practices among civil society, and strengthening governance structures and systems to improve labour migration governance. By 2019, the Ethiopia program had impacted over 128,000 survivors of trafficking and vulnerable women and girls through its hotspot work.
Over the past few months, Ethiopia has seen an increased number of migrant workers returning from the Middle East as a result of the covid pandemic. In response to the situation, the Freedom Fund is now about to start supporting the repatriation of Ethiopian returnee migrant workers from the Middle East, specifically from Lebanon, through its ‘ Bete project’.
We are now recruiting a Senior Program Officer who has experience of grant management in Ethiopia and expertise in the reintegration of returnee migrant workers & survivors of trafficking, and their children, as well as experience in mental health, psycho-social support and/or livelihood reintegration programming.
About the Freedom Fund
The Freedom Fund ( www.freedomfund.org ) is a leader in the global movement to end slavery. It:
- invests in those countries and sectors with the greatest incidence of slavery.
- analyses which interventions work best and shares that knowledge.
- brings together a community of activists committed to ending slavery and empowered by the knowledge of how best to do so.
- generates funding by demonstrating how effective interventions can protect those at risk of being enslaved and free those in slavery.
The Freedom Fund now has programs in India, Ethiopia, Thailand, Nepal, Brazil and Myanmar. It currently supports and funds over 140 partners around the world
About the position
This is an exciting and demanding role for an outstanding individual with experience in managing and implementing development programs for the reintegration of women returnee migrant workers with a focus on survivors of trafficking, mental health and psycho-social support as well as livelihood development.
The Senior Program Officer will be responsible for the successful delivery of the Bete reintegration project in partnership with local civil society organisations (CSOs), as per the Freedom Fund reintegration model and programming standards. She/he will oversee and help coordinate the work of CSO partners and technical advisers, commission the delivery of relevant trainings, monitor the delivery and impact of the CSO partners and Bete project overall, and convene meetings and events for partners, government officials, and other stakeholders as necessary. The Senior Program Officer will manage a Case Worker who will be 100% dedicated to the Bete reintegration project.
The Senior Program Officer will be an employee of the Freedom Fund’s Addis Ababa office, hired on a 12-month fixed term and full-time contract. S/he will manage the Case Worker and report to the Country Representative.
Leadership and Operations Management
- Lead and coordinate the delivery of the Freedom Fund’s Bete project by monitoring the quality, impact, cost effectiveness and timeliness of the interventions
- Represent the Freedom Fund and its work on reintegration in Ethiopia as needed, working closely with CSO organisations, local officials, and other key stakeholders in close consultation with the Country Representative.
- Assist in maintaining strong relationships with local authorities, relevant ministries and partner organisations under the Bete project.
- Contribute to the strategic planning for next stages of program development, as needed.
- Manage the Case Worker
- Oversee partners’ implementation of the Bete reintegration project in Ethiopia, working closely with the Case Worker and technical consultant hired under this project.
- Lead and support partners in delivering quality reintegration work including detail execution of their workplans, and the work of the rehabilitation centre(s).
- Support partner organisations to develop, adapt and implement case management tools in close collaboration with the Case Worker and Technical Adviser.
- Work with the Case Worker and Safeguarding Manager at headquarters, to ensure that partners have adequate systems in place to protect and safeguarding adults and children returnees.
- Support partner organisations to develop, adapt and implement project monitoring and learning tools.
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to partners and review periodic progress reports.
- Review and ensure partners submit accurate monitoring and impact data as per the Freedom Fund global indicators
- Capture and adequately share learning with relevant stakeholders in Ethiopia and within the Freedom Fund
- Monitor budget expenditure and ensure good financial management of the Bete project.
- Identify and manage risks associated with the project and escalate as to the Country Representative as per the Freedom Fund policies and systems in place.
Coordination and Representation
- Coordinate / liaise with government stakeholders, service providers and/or others as relevant
- Communicate and document progress, challenges, and lessons learned related to the project deliverables with members of the Freedom Fund team on a regular basis.
- Promote healthy team communication
- With support from the Country Representative, contribute to maintain the visibility and profile of issues related to reintegration models of returnees within Ethiopia.
- USD 32,000 – 34,000 per annum, depending on experience
- 11% pension contributions
- 33 days holiday pro rata, inclusive of public holidays
Qualifications and experience
- The Freedom Fund seeks an energetic, thoughtful and committed Program Officer. The successful candidate will have experience working with returnee migrant workers and reintegration models with a track record of managing and implementing development programs.
- 5-7 years of experience in program management in the field of trafficking, exploitation or migration.
- Knowledge and experience of working with returnee migrant workers and children, survivors or other manifestations of gender-based and intimate partner violence. Experience in other key areas such as workers’ rights, economic empowerment, psycho-social support and mental health is an asset.
- Experience in engaging with a range of stakeholders and coordinating with government stakeholders.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of local partners and programs, including data collection, data management, and financial monitoring.
- Fluent in Amharic and English.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (especially Word and Excel).
- Knowledge of migrant worker experiences and rights.
- Knowledge of mental health and trauma informed care.
- Experience of managing staff
- Team player committed to the Freedom Fund’s values and passionate about human rights issues.
- Ability to build relationships with a wide range of individuals and stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently, displaying strong initiative in solving day-to-day problems with limited direction.
- Detail oriented, with ability to manage, track and organise data, including numerical data.
- Willingness and ability to travel, as required.
How to Apply
Due to the volume of inquiries, only candidates offered an interview will be contacted. Regrettably we will not accept phone calls.
Applications should be submitted in English and include a CV, cover letter (maximum one page) and contact details of two professional referees, one of which must be the applicant’s current / most recent line manager or current / most recent Head of HR.
Please send applications by email in PDF format to [email protected] , including “Ethiopia Senior Program Officer (BETE)’ in the subject line before 9am GMT on Friday 13th of November 2020.
Please note that only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please. No agencies please.
The Freedom Fund is an equal opportunities employer. In line with our values of respect, agility and excellence, we value the strength of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds, LGBT+ and from different socio-economic backgrounds. Applicants must be eligible to work in Ethiopia.
The Freedom Fund is committed to the importance of meaningful survivor inclusion and leadership. As such, particular consideration will be given to applicants with lived experience of trafficking and/or forms of modern slavery.
The Freedom Fund prioritises Safeguarding. As part of our commitment to the protection of children and vulnerable people in our work, any offer of employment with the Freedom Fund will be subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks to ensure we recruit only those who are suitable to work with children and vulnerable persons. These checks include Disclosure and Barring Service and/or International Criminal Records Checks, satisfactory references, proof of eligibility to work in the national location of this role and checks against the Office of Foreign Assets Control data list (OFAC] which highlights any connections to terrorism or trafficking. Any offer of employment or consultancy with The Freedom Fund will only be made following both successful background checks being conducted on the applicant and upon receipt of satisfactory pre-employment checks by former employers. Such checks may be updated periodically during the course of the period of employment or consultancy. By submitting a formal application, you agree to the Freedom Fund carrying out these checks.