ABOUT THE IRC
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing coordinated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response.
IRC Supply Chain entails all the systems and support functions vital to implement programs effectively, inclusive of procurement, logistics, inventory management, property and asset management as well as vehicle and fleet management. The position is a key position to the success and delivery of quality programs. The position holder is accountable for the design, planning, execution and monitoring of supply chain activities at the country level. The Senior Supply Chain Coordinator is a member of the country program’s Senior Management Team.
1. Supply Chain Planning
He/she is responsible for the department activity planning. They will coordinate closely with partners to develop plans to support timely and efficient program implementation. Supply chain plans include: detailed and up to date procurement plans, warehousing plans, transport plans, staffing plans, distribution/dispatching plans and training plans.
- Proactively participate in BVA/ Project Cycle Meetings, including project design, project planning, project opening, project review, project close-out and project learning meetings to ensure that supply chain related issues are well articulated to all partners and resolved for successful project delivery.
- Prepare and maintain consolidated annual procurement plans and develop/maintain country program sourcing strategy for all active and pipeline grants in partnership wth program teams.
2. Procurement Management
He/She owns leads and drives the procurement strategies, policies and procedures. He/she ensures all country program procurement needs are met on time likewise the standards.
- Ensure Donor compliance during procurement
- Adhere timely procurement contracts
- Lead market surveys and analyses by collecting, organizing and analyzing market data and share results with program team and field Coordinators and Managers on a regular basis.
- Create a strategy, and lead the Master Agreements (MPA & MSA) and RFQ/RFP Processes and completing a purchase request process
- Handle negotiations for high spent categories by developing strategies
- Ensure review and execution of procurement contracts in timely fashion
- Proactively engage with Programs, Suppliers, Partners, NGOs, logistics clusters and other partners to ensure good coordination and adequate information sharing to address common concerns or risks affecting the market
– Organize procurement trainings sessions for procurement / tender committees in the field offices and non – supply chain staff if deemed vital.
- Identifying fraud and corruption red flags and address them, in a timely manner, through the appropriate channels.
- Establish /revise as appropriate reasonable and appropriate lead-time for all procurement and deliveries
- Make sure supply chain monthly and quarterly reports are analyzed and communicated to partners including key actions to be taken and submitted on time to the leadership team.
- Review the department key performance indicators and set improvement plans.
- Ensure all vendors’ history and performance Information, is properly documented and procurement transaction files and supplier files maintained according to the applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) Work with Field Offices Supply Chain lead and other staff and Field Coordinator and Managers to ensure effectiveness, countrywide uniformity of supply chain structure and implementation of the IRC’s standard operating policies and procedures
- Coordinate with supply chain field leads and other staff to ensure that there is sufficient spaces in the warehouses before sending program supplies to the field sites.
- Ensure the BVA online system is current and up to date, including oversight of the quality of date entry by SC staff and monitoring of the validity of open Purchase Requests which are older than three months.
3. Inventory Management
He/she is in control of leading all inventory and warehouses operation in the country program and to ensure excellent record keeping, as per the inventory standard procedures and controls as provided by Global Supply Chain.
- Ensure appropriate warehouse site selection, and warehouse safety/security requirements
- Ensure effective handling of inventory, including drug storage, cold chain, buffer stock, contributions in kind (CIK) and food commodities
- Set up stock reorder levels as per the IRC standard operating procedures and donor requirements
- Implement the IRC inventory policies with regard to all project Items including cycle count, investigate discrepancies and develop action plan to address them.
- Produce grants ending and year ending inventory report during each grant closing and end of fiscal year in timely manner.
- Support that program team develop and implement distribution plan for supplies and assets of closed grants in the warehouses.
- Coordinate inventory disposal procedures as per host government, IRC and donor rules and regulations
4. Assets Management
The Senior Supply Chain Coordinator is responsible for the procurement, maintenance, safe keeping and record or all IRC country program assets and equipment. The Senior Supply Chain Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the administrative, financial, capital and operations of asset management in accordance with IRC and donors rules and regulations.
- Conduct Asset needs assessment
- Develop Assets maintenance plans as per IRC policies, including repairs tracking and insurance coverage process.
- Ensure spot-checks are done systematically on a quarterly basis, any discrepancies documented and reported; and action to address the root causes developed for all IRC assets, inventory and equipment.
- Handle asset and property disposal, including auction management in accordance with IRC asset disposal process
- Ensure that grants inventory and asset report is accurate, regularly produced, reviewed and approved before the Grant closing date.
5. Logistics and Fleet Management
Being responsible for and coordinate all fleet and Logistics activities and verify IRC fleet operations are conducted with adherence to the policy and procedures including vehicles procurement, vehicles movement, and maintenance and reporting accuracy.
- Implements IRC global policies and procedures and/or develops country specific fleet management policies and procedures needed to align with the local regulations and ensure that they are implemented and followed in all IRC in country offices.
- Ensure that fleet legal status (customs clearance, registration, licenses, insurance) are latest;
- Conduct transport needs assessments
- Develop and supervise fleet movement plans, vehicle maintenance, driver assignment, vehicle safety, and fuel consumption.
- Analyzes fleet spent, including fuel consumption and maintenance costs and produces reports on a periodic basis to facilitate strategic decisions and ensure fleet optimization
- Regular issuance, review, and usage of vehicle monthly reports to inform strategic decision-making process.
6. Compliance and Ethics
The post holder is responsible for identifying and analyzing compliance risk in supply chain process, developing and implementing strong procurement controls. The post holder:
- Identifies and sets mitigation plan to manage Supply Chain risks, including identification of red flags, and implementing internal and external audit corrective action plans to ensure all the department activities are conducted in an ethical manner.
- Ensures compliance to all policies in the procurement and distribution of program supplies and assets.
- Ensure that assessments of the policies, procedures, controls, and performance is conducted and any deviations addressed where designated
- Take lead in donor and IRC Internal Audit process of the SC department, develop and support implementation of post-audit corrective action plans and other improvement plans.
7. Staff Management and Development:
He/she is in charge and accountable for overseeing all the department learning and development initiatives in country by:
- Being responsible for the recruitment of new staff through effective utilization of the IRC supply chain competency matrix.
- Ensure that the department is appropriately staffed and that the roles and responsibilities of each team member are clear set out in their job description
- Ensuring all team members’ objectives are set following the interpersonal unit vision as well as operations context;
- Oversee field based Supply Chain Leads, assist them develop their smart goals, plan and execute Management In Partnership with Field Coordinator.
- Ensuring regular assessment of direct and indirect staffs competency and skills gaps. Develop appropriate training and capacity building plans, ensure costs are incorporate into available budgets and ensure trainings are delivered.
- Ensure appropriate segregation of duties among the department staffs, in Addis and all field locations.
8. Pharmaceutical Supply Chain
- In collaboration with the health team, ensure forecasts and supply planning for pharmaceutical supply are created for all health projects by project start date.
- With the guidance and support from global pharma leadership develop a supply strategy for the supply of pharmaceuticals (global, regional, national) including freight.
- Ensure the IRC standard pharmaceutical inventory tracking tool is in place and accurately maintained in each location
- Ensure implementation IRC pharmaceutical quality assurance policy, associated SOPs and procedures for Cold Chain standard methodology in the warehouse and in local transport.
- Ensure adequate drugs management and transportation tool and materials are available for the effective management of drugs.
- 6-7 years related experience with postgraduate or with first degree, respectively in Business management/Management, Accounting, Purchasing and Supplies management or related fields of study
- Advanced professional certification in supply chain management and/or emergency response management strongly preferred.
- At least 5 years of management experience; two of which as a Coordinator level
- experience working in diversified team
- Experience working with in an ERP environment
- Experience with Data Analysis
- Demonstrated ability to develop and roll-out supply chain policy and SOPs;
- Clear training and mentoring ability;
- Experience working with a diverse portfolio of Donors and knowledge of specific donor guidelines.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Have a high degree of flexibility and ability to work against hard deadlines.
- Strong collaborator and influencer with effective interpersonal and analytical skills who can work seamlessly across countries, cultures, and organizational units
- Able to work effectively in a highly matrixed structure
- Strong financial management and budgeting skills
Fluency in English & Amharic are required, ability in other local languages is a plus.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality : IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.