Overview of position
Required to transport cargo in the form of both food & non food items in accordance to the procedures & normative guidelines, as establish by our client.
Under the direct supervision of the Traffic Manager the incumbent shall perform the following duties:
- Perform a daily inspection of the vehicle, trailer & ensure that they are mechanically sound & to report any problems or defects to immediate supervisor.
- Carry responsibility for truck allocated, cargo & provide assistance & guidance to those vehicles under the convoy.
- Responsible for telecommunications & usage of GPS, HF & VHF radio & communications to inform Traffic Manager of progress & position on an hourly basis.
- Responsible for all security issues that may arise & always decide safest option for convoy & use careful judgement to ensure safe passage.
- In the event of breakdown or recovery, decide upon best course of action to recover vehicle in the safest & quickest manner without potential damage being caused by in this exercise.
- Ensure that sufficient funds are available for offloading cargo where applicable.
- Ensure that the vehicle under direct responsibility is thoroughly cleaned & maintained in a good mechanical condition.
- Ensure that the vehicle logbook is duly completed on a daily & timely basis free from errors to maintain good records.
- Ensure that the vehicle is always fuelled on time & make sure that the fuel consumption figures are maintained within the established parameters as set by our client.
- Responsible to ensure that the cargo loaded at origin is safely transported to the destination free from contamination, losses or damage & held accountable for the same, will witness loading together with Tally Clerk & ensure signing & endorsing of waybill at destination.
- Held responsible & accountable for vehicle, trailer & any tools or equipment given to the Driver (& signed for) & ensure that it remains in good condition.
- Loss or damage of cargo, spares, tools or equipment as well as loss of fuel in the care of the employee shall be deducted from the salary based on CIF value or local market rate, whichever is prevailing.
- This can also lead to penalties or dismissal to the personnel & penalties on the service provider or contractor.
- Ensure that the vehicle & trailer are loaded (metric tonnes) in accordance to the established payload of the vehicle & under no circumstances to exceed this limit.
- Cargo must be loaded uniformly & equally distributed for safety reasons.
- Drive always in a safe & responsible manner with due respect & attention for other vehicles, property.
- Whilst the vehicle is in the workshop the Driver shall assist in repairs & maintenance activities as required.
- Any accident that may occur must be immediately reported to supervisor & or other parties concerned.
- Driver will only travel to authorised destination & only load authorised cargo, under no circumstance shall deviate from this unless authorised by immediate supervisor.
- Manoeuvre a trailer at the duty station as required.
- Tow a trailer on missions as required.
- Will perform any other duties as requested by immediate supervisor.
This role works under the direct supervision of the Assistant Traffic Officer.
- Ensure that established route turnaround times (expressed in days / hours) & distances (expressed in kilometres) are within parameters set as well as respecting the established standard night out allowances, notwithstanding abnormal circumstances, such as security.
- Fuel consumption figures maintained within parameters set.
- Vehicle maintained in good mechanical condition, limited tyre wear free from any breakages in accordance to standards set by the organisation.
- Cargo loaded, securely & safely, transported from origin to destination in a secure dry environment & duly received in a good sound condition at the receiving location.
- Complete all vehicle administrative documents (vehicle logbooks, waybills) accurately & correctly & in turn, hand them over to Traffic Manager on a timely basis.
- Required to report on time for duty as per establish established working hours & sign the time sheet prepared for this purpose.
- Ensure that both loading / unloading times are kept to a minimum acceptable level & to report any abnormal waiting times.
Will liaise & cooperate with all other client’s employees & Cooperating Partners.
- Holder of a valid, clean heavy vehicles driving licence in accordance to the vehicle category assigned to drive in accordance to national regulations.
- At least 5 years minimum experience gained in the relevant driver licence category.
- Trained to & experienced with driving with a trailer.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.